Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Parking brake issues

Old 06-21-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
ugmold is on a distinguished road
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Parking brake issues

2003 Tacoma 115,000. 2nd time problem. The lever assembly inside the rear drums to actuate the shoes for the parking brake has twice now frozen up on me. 1st time was just one side this time both were near frozen. I took them out and cleaned them up the best I could and re-installed and they work, but I'd like to replace them...I just don't know what the part(s) are called.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

-Forrest
Old 06-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #3
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks a lot, pretty much how I handled mine. Do you know if they sell this as a unit? As mine were pretty pitted and tolerances now sloppy. I did look on RockAuto but didn't see anything listed.

-Forrest
Old 06-22-2012, 07:52 AM   #4
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugmold View Post
Do you know if they sell this as a unit? As mine were pretty pitted and tolerances now sloppy. I did look on RockAuto but didn't see anything listed.

-Forrest
I've worked on drum brakes for years, and never had this issue. Maybe because I live in California. The only parts that wear and needed to be replaced were the shoes, drums, and solenoids. If the parts got gummed up, just removal, scrubbing, cleaning and lubing took care of it. Are you sure that the parts are assembled properly? They could be binding. Lots of springs, struts, levers that can easily be hooked up wrong.

That being said, RockAuto.com sells drum brake part kits that include the springs, and keepers. They also list a self-adjuster kit. If the parking brake lever is not broken or bent, there would be no need to replace that, just clean it up.
Old 06-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
fdmsiv is on a distinguished road
fdmsiv's Tacoma Gallery
I've had my rear drums freeze up twice. First time it was the driver side, second time I'm not sure cause I was able to "brake" it free. Both occurred after driving in wet conditions and then letting the truck sit for a couple days. I have a manual and use the ebrake all the time, it is more of a pad-drum issue. If anyone has found a solution for this please let me know.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Mass, winters can be brutal, always live on the coast. The brakes shoes and, drums etc look great, hardly any wear at 114,000, all springs etc are fine and doing there job. It is just the bell cranks, were it pivots it gets corroded and freezes up.

The E-brake is about the only thing I don't like about Toyota trucks, this is my third 2003, had a 93, and a 83. All had e-brake problems.
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
My 2 cents....

Living here in NH, these little "Pieces" need constant attention and if I were to replace mine the extra $$$ to buy OEM from Toyota would be a great investment . and looking up parts with your VIN should be MISTAKE free ..

PLUS price shop; having the webby prices in hand when I walked into Toyota parts department might bring better results ...they ( dealer) need to make a profit,not a KILLING...
Old 06-23-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
koco is on a distinguished road

koco's Tacoma Gallery
I had this problem on a 99 4x4.

When the rear brakes were taken apart I sprayed a whole bunch of PB Blaster on the levers and worked them back and forth for a while until they freed up. There was simply no other way to free them up. They were fine for many years after that.

There's probably no need to replace them unless they are broken or damaged.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #9
TIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedTIPICOTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
TIPICOTACO's Tacoma Gallery
OP - despite how bad yours may appear, they are fixable! My pass. side was completely seized and my driver's nearly, but after disassembly and thorough cleaning they are good as new! I used a combination of PB Blaster, wd40, sandpaper, and a Dremel to clean them up.

go to Yahoo.com and search "2003 tacoma bell crank assembly" and download the first link (pdf titled "Toyota Truck Park Brake Bellcrank Repair")

This is what I used to fix mine. GL
Old 06-27-2012, 06:08 AM   #10
ugmold's Tacoma Gallery
I did the same, spent a lot of time cleaning them up. But scrape/sand/file and you are loosing material as well as the pitting/rust you are removing. This "sloppiness" will return them to that state faster, and somehow I'm thinking they will lock up again mid snow-storm January 31st, 2013....I'll let you know, lol.