1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Parking brake issues

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ugmold, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Jun 21, 2012 at 1:41 PM
    ugmold

ugmold [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    2003 Tacoma 115,000. 2nd time problem. The lever assembly inside the rear drums to actuate the shoes for the parking brake has twice now frozen up on me. 1st time was just one side this time both were near frozen. I took them out and cleaned them up the best I could and re-installed and they work, but I'd like to replace them...I just don't know what the part(s) are called.

Anybody know what I'm talking about?

-Forrest

2. Jun 21, 2012 at 2:47 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
  3. Jun 22, 2012 at 6:25 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    Thanks a lot, pretty much how I handled mine. Do you know if they sell this as a unit? As mine were pretty pitted and tolerances now sloppy. I did look on RockAuto but didn't see anything listed.

-Forrest

4. Jun 22, 2012 at 7:52 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    I've worked on drum brakes for years, and never had this issue. Maybe because I live in California. The only parts that wear and needed to be replaced were the shoes, drums, and solenoids. If the parts got gummed up, just removal, scrubbing, cleaning and lubing took care of it. Are you sure that the parts are assembled properly? They could be binding. Lots of springs, struts, levers that can easily be hooked up wrong.

That being said, RockAuto.com sells drum brake part kits that include the springs, and keepers. They also list a self-adjuster kit. If the parking brake lever is not broken or bent, there would be no need to replace that, just clean it up.

5. Jun 22, 2012 at 1:15 PM
    fdmsiv

fdmsiv Member

Member:
    New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    98 4x4 3.4 5-speed X-cab SR5 TRD
    I've had my rear drums freeze up twice. First time it was the driver side, second time I'm not sure cause I was able to "brake" it free. Both occurred after driving in wet conditions and then letting the truck sit for a couple days. I have a manual and use the ebrake all the time, it is more of a pad-drum issue. If anyone has found a solution for this please let me know.

6. Jun 23, 2012 at 6:44 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    I live in Mass, winters can be brutal, always live on the coast. The brakes shoes and, drums etc look great, hardly any wear at 114,000, all springs etc are fine and doing there job. It is just the bell cranks, were it pivots it gets corroded and freezes up.

The E-brake is about the only thing I don't like about Toyota trucks, this is my third 2003, had a 93, and a 83. All had e-brake problems.

7. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:56 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    My 2 cents....

Living here in NH, these little "Pieces" need constant attention and if I were to replace mine the extra $$$ to buy OEM from Toyota would be a great investment :cool:. and looking up parts with your VIN should be MISTAKE free ..

PLUS price shop; having the webby prices in hand when I walked into Toyota parts department might bring better results ;) :)...they ( dealer) need to make a profit,not a KILLING...

8. Jun 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM
    koco

koco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bay Area Ca.
    Vehicle:
    '01 Taco
    Around $26,000 worth of unleaded in the fuel tank.
    I had this problem on a 99 4x4.

When the rear brakes were taken apart I sprayed a whole bunch of PB Blaster on the levers and worked them back and forth for a while until they freed up. There was simply no other way to free them up. They were fine for many years after that.

There's probably no need to replace them unless they are broken or damaged.

9. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:19 PM
    TIPICOTACO

TIPICOTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    nw nj
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC 4X4 TRD "RAD BARON"
    Some lift, some armor, some scratches..
    OP - despite how bad yours may appear, they are fixable! My pass. side was completely seized and my driver's nearly, but after disassembly and thorough cleaning they are good as new! I used a combination of PB Blaster, wd40, sandpaper, and a Dremel to clean them up.

go to Yahoo.com and search "2003 tacoma bell crank assembly" and download the first link (pdf titled "Toyota Truck Park Brake Bellcrank Repair")

This is what I used to fix mine. GL

10. Jun 27, 2012 at 6:08 AM
    ugmold

Member:
    I did the same, spent a lot of time cleaning them up. But scrape/sand/file and you are loosing material as well as the pitting/rust you are removing. This "sloppiness" will return them to that state faster, and somehow I'm thinking they will lock up again mid snow-storm January 31st, 2013....I'll let you know, lol.

Products Discussed in

To Top