Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

What can you tell me about DIFF DROPS?!

Old 06-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #1
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
What can you tell me about DIFF DROPS?!

Just put a 3" lift on my taco and was told i needed to install a diff drop kit on it in the near future. What is it? Why is it necessary? THANKS!
Old 06-21-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
diff drop gives your Cv axles a better angle. If your CV axles are to steep of angle they will wear out quicker.
And that severe angle can cause your boots to tear, which will also wear out you axles faster.

The effectiveness of diff drops is debatable. I have one because the few bucks possibly wasted is worth it to me if it helps an CV just a little bit.
Old 06-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman View Post
And that severe angle can cause your boots to tear, which will also wear out you axles faster.

The effectiveness of diff drops is debatable. I have one because the few bucks possibly wasted is worth it to me if it helps an CV just a little bit.

thats all i needed to hear! 30 bucks now will save me a couple hundred later. Was it pretty easy to install?
Old 06-21-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Bah Humshit!
brian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrian is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Work and Fly on the Four Fans of Freedom
brian's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to brian
Paging Chris4x4.... I want to hear his opinion on these things again. I forget what it was but he convinced me they were pointless
Old 06-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #6
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian View Post
Paging Chris4x4.... I want to hear his opinion on these things again. I forget what it was but he convinced me they were pointless
They are not needed. They only lower the front of the diff. This in turn, only lowers the axels about 1/3" or so, and changing the actual angle about 1.6* They also reduce ground clearance by the full 1". Odds are, if there are vibes due to a lift, its due to impropperly torqued bolts/nuts, bad alignment, etc.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
They are not needed. They only lower the front of the diff. This in turn, only lowers the axels about 1/3" or so, and changing the actual angle about 1.6* They also reduce ground clearance by the full 1". Odds are, if there are vibes due to a lift, its due to impropperly torqued bolts/nuts, bad alignment, etc.
Exactly. Diff drops are worthless junk they try to sell you to make $ off of nothing. Do not buy into their lies.

Also, vibes are sometimes due to carrier bearing angle.. Sometimes. Though I had no vibes with 9" of lift.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
also MJP2 has some strong words regarding diff drops
Old 06-21-2012, 05:09 PM   #9
I have a problem for your solution…
Snowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnowman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
Snowman's Tacoma Gallery
There is also a large debate about 1st gen vs 2nd gen. The general 2nd gen consensus is they dont work (as you can see above), there are many more 1st gen diff drop supporters.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
So I keep hearing this talk about "vibes". Im not really sure what exactly that means. With the lift I have right now i feel damn near every bump in the road. sometimes it feels like my truck jumps 6 inches left or right every time i hit a tiny bump. is this something the diff drop would fix? how can i improve the ride quality?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #11
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
I have one on my truck (1st gen) and it has helped alot.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren1512 View Post
So I keep hearing this talk about "vibes". Im not really sure what exactly that means. With the lift I have right now i feel damn near every bump in the road. sometimes it feels like my truck jumps 6 inches left or right every time i hit a tiny bump. is this something the diff drop would fix? how can i improve the ride quality?
You said in a thread you created you have a spacer lift. You answered your own question as to why it rides like shit. Diff drop wouldn't do anything. They don't do anything as is.