Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

I de-badged and have shadows, what now?

Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #1
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
I de-badged and have shadows, what now?

So, I recently finished de-badging and black badging. I was just outside and in a certain light from about 6 feet away, I could clearly see where the badges were and read "TOYOTA", "TACOMA", "SR5 V6". Now, that is really lame, and I was wondering if anyone knew how to get rid of the shadows. If it was only up close, big deal, but it can be seen from a substantial distance from the truck. How do I remedy this? Clay bar, buff the shit out of it, repaint? I had to run in here for advice because I am now trying to figure it out. Thanks in advance TW.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
is the shadow from the glue? if yes then try goo gone and lots of elbow grease
if its from the paint fading in the sun then claybar should help. that or time to look for a good polishing product
Old 06-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #3
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Compound and wax.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
I got fisted
wildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shedwildjerseyfirefighter is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Joe
wildjerseyfirefighter's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to wildjerseyfirefighter
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
is the shadow from the glue? if yes then try goo gone and lots of elbow grease
if its from the paint fading in the sun then claybar should help. that or time to look for a good polishing product

Claybar wont do anything..you need to remove tiny layer of the clearcoat..claybar just removes whats on top of the clear.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Jon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shedJon850FL is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
Jon850FL's Tacoma Gallery
: /
Old 06-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #6
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Yeah, not from adhesive, I used goo gone and rubbed the hell out of it for quite a bit. I just looked at again, from across the street (about 50 feet) and I'll be damned if it's not clearly visible!! Thanks for the advice, have either of you had this same issue? With a silver Taco and these dark ass shadows, f**k, it is really noticeable!
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon850FL View Post
: /
Thanks, that's how I feel...
Old 06-21-2012, 05:40 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Compound and wax.
What type of compound would you recommend?
Old 06-21-2012, 06:15 PM   #9
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildjerseyfirefighter View Post
Compound and wax.
This.

When I did mine after 11 or 12 years I had the ghost writing shadow effect too.

I washed, clay barred (didn't know it didn't matter and just went with it), compound and then wax.

Got rid of it.
Old 06-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Age and sun will get rid of it
Old 06-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
This.

When I did mine after 11 or 12 years I had the ghost writing shadow effect too.

I washed, clay barred (didn't know it didn't matter and just went with it), compound and then wax.

Got rid of it.
What type of compound?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
What type of compound?
I can't remember. I'm not a hardcore detailer so it was something from either a local hardware store or Checker.

I also don't have a buffer or whatever it's called, so my shoulder was f'in toast after that day.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:48 PM   #13
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
Shadow as in fading ?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelo760 View Post
Shadow as in fading ?
The paint around the badges oxides while the paint under the badge remains new.

So when you remove the badge after years of oxidization, you get a variance in paint color... gives it a shadow look when the badges are removed.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #15
Quote:
The paint around the badges oxides while the paint under the badge remains new.

So when you remove the badge after years of oxidization, you get a variance in paint color... gives it a shadow look when the badges are removed.
Exactamundo! If anybody can chime in on what type of compound to use to remove the shadowing, it would be much appreciated.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
I doughnut belong here.
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
megniars polish works great. i used "mirror glaze fine-cut". works like a charm. put a lil bit on a cloth rag, swirl it on, presto, no shadow.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #17

Damn Tim... you have a Lunar Mist Tacoma. You probably don't have to do a damn thing and just let the sun and elements do the work for you... by this time next year you won't have any shadowing

Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 PM   #18
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I would go buy some 3M buffing compound, 3M glaze, and 3M wax. It's been a while since I've been into auto detailing (used to do some of it on the side when I was a teenager). Ask the guys at NAPA or O'Reillys (both of those seem to be much better equipped to answer paint questions than their competitors) and they'll tell you.

While you are at, do the whole truck.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #19
Quote:
Damn Tim... you have a Lunar Mist Tacoma. You probably don't have to do a damn thing and just let the sun and elements do the work for you... by this time next year you won't have any shadowing

Yeah Madjik, if I wanted to drive around for a year, knowing everyone was staring at it. Thanks TacomaJPP, I will hit them up this weekend, gotta pick up stuff for an oil change anyhoo, she is due!
Old 06-21-2012, 09:53 PM   #20
Hakuna Matata, bitches!
EVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura aboutEVErsionDesigns has a spectacular aura about

Name: Trent
EVErsionDesigns's Tacoma Gallery
Turtle wax makes a good compound