Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Opinions on wheel spacers?

Old 06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
Opinions on wheel spacers?

I just bought a set of wheels and tires on CL and found out the rims offset is too deep and wont let the wheel on the hub. I was told to get 2inch spacers but have heard some pretty trippy stuff about them. Ie: wheels flying off, spacers not seating right...

Anyone have any advice?
Old 06-21-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Peeps in the baja 1000 race run wheel spacers. There is NOTHING wrong with them.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
Because fuck you that's why...
Trigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrigo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
Trigo's Tacoma Gallery
ive seen a few mid travel trucks running wheel spacers so im
Old 06-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #4
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
If they weren't safe why would we sell them?
Old 06-21-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
companies like les schwabb dont carry them anymore because insurance companies deemed them a safety risk. I have had a hell of a time finding a shop that has them.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
This is my derpawayinator!!!!!
NelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedNelsonTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

NelsonTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Exactly. I've been running a set of 1.5 all pro spacers for 10k with no problems. If they are installed right then you will have no problems.

Just don't take your truck to discount tire they won't touch anything with spacers on it.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #8
MowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMowTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
MowTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I've had 1.5" spacers in the rear of mine for about 10k miles with no wheels flying off yet
Old 06-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
Sunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedSunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sunner's Tacoma Gallery
I dont know how true it is but the only negative thing I read a while back was that they put extra stress on the balljoint on the LCA? Or something along those lines.

EDIT: Also, when I was having my spacers installed by America's Tire, the tech pointed out that even if the lugs on the spacer were to start to back out, they would not be able to clear off the stud since the wheel is right on top of them(not sure if all wheels will cover the spacer studs). So you'd know that its backing out by some pretty bad vibration before the entire wheel fell off.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
Turbo Meister
Speed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpeed Freek is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
Speed Freek's Tacoma Gallery
Just check the torque once in a while, make sure you use forged spacers and not crappy cast ones, they tend to loosen up due to the material.

They do put more leverage on the bearings since the center is further out but it is what it is...2" seems pretty big, but if thats what you need then go for it, just check them often and you should be fine.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
woodbutcher is on a distinguished road
woodbutcher's Tacoma Gallery
good to see wheel spacers as a credible option update wanna know how that turned out for you.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 PM   #12
mall crawler
Rebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRebel Taco 22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Parker
Rebel Taco 22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunner View Post
I dont know how true it is but the only negative thing I read a while back was that they put extra stress on the balljoint on the LCA? Or something along those lines.

EDIT: Also, when I was having my spacers installed by America's Tire, the tech pointed out that even if the lugs on the spacer were to start to back out, they would not be able to clear off the stud since the wheel is right on top of them(not sure if all wheels will cover the spacer studs). So you'd know that its backing out by some pretty bad vibration before the entire wheel fell off.
Thats true, but it is the same as having wheels that were equally backspaced.