Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help with sporadic clutch noise -video included

Old 06-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
Nights Watch is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
Nights Watch's Tacoma Gallery
Help with sporadic clutch noise -video included

Hello. I bought my truck in April and I started to notice this noise a couple days ago. It's an '02 with 70K on it. The noise is very sporadic: it was noticeable all afternoon and then when I drove home tonight it was perfect -like when I bought it. I'm taking a road trip from Chicago to Philadelphia on Saturday, so I hope it's nothing major. Any help is appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJEE6...ature=youtu.be
Old 06-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Clutch pedal squeak. Common problem. Not a big deal for the trip. Here is some good reading.

I have an 02 manual and took the OEM spring out and replaced it with a linear spring. Works great. Get one with a long straight part and put that end at the pedal and it won't catch on the bracket. You will see when you read the links.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...tch-pedal.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ap-tw-how.html
Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
Nights Watch is on a distinguished road

Name: Nick
Nights Watch's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha. Thanks a lot for your help and the good news! I was worried the clutch might need to be replaced.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
Laissez les bons temps rouler
tacoma04 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bruce
tacoma04's Tacoma Gallery
Glad to help. Yep, not a big deal....just a problematic squeak.
Old 06-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
shampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud ofshampoop has much to be proud of
shampoop's Tacoma Gallery
Could also be where the slave cylinder contacts the pivot fork, or where the pivot fork contacts it's pivot point inside the bellhousing.

I thought for sure mine was the spring and bought one and was planning on fixing it in the future, then I replaced my clutch and greased up all of the contact points and my squeak was gone! Best way to figure it out is if it sounds louder inside or outside of the truck.
Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoma04 View Post
Can't believe I waited 13 years to do this ^

$3 and 5 minutes and it's amazing
Old 06-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #7
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
I went to Toyota and bought the linear brake pedal return spring and used it. I also bought a spare and put it in the glovebox, just in case. If it is good enough for the brake pedal, it's good enough for the clutch, plus it isn't some Advanced Auto generic "Help," made in China, piece of chit.