Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Frame reinforcement; plate vs. box

Old 06-22-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
wicked4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Wick
wicked4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Frame reinforcement; plate vs. box

obviously the frame plates are less work and easier access than boxing the frame (considerably less work if planning to remove the bed). and to me, boxing seems like a stronger option, but maybe that is just opinion.

can anyone answer if it is worth it to do the frame plates, or should i skip that and box it instead.

truck sees a lot of trails, spends time pulling out jeeps, and tows a bit (sometimes small light trailer, sometimes heavy car haulers).

thanks
Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
frame plates are a nice improvement. Those will probably be enough for most of what you describe except for the heavy car haulers. If you are doing that very often or over long distances you would be better off to box the frame.

I did the plates on my truck and do all the other stuff you describe and the plates have been plenty.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:01 AM   #3
wicked4x4 is on a distinguished road

Name: Wick
wicked4x4's Tacoma Gallery
thanks for the response. makes sense.