Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

10w 30 v 5w; any difference?

Old 06-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
beedoola is on a distinguished road

beedoola's Tacoma Gallery
10w 30 v 5w; any difference?

Owner's manual calls for 5w 30 which I've used to change my oil - using synthetic. My boss bought some Mobil one 10w synthetic on sale and offered it to me. Is it alright to use the 10? I have 141k on my taco: 01' prerunner, ; cycl. 2.7
Old 06-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
GP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGP3 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

GP3's Tacoma Gallery
Go for it.

Quote:
The viscosity grade (for example, 5W-30) tells you the oil's thickness, or viscosity. A thin oil has a lower number and flows more easily, while thick oils have a higher number and are more resistant to flow. Water has a very low viscosity -- it is thin and flows easily. Honey has a very high viscosity -- it is thick and gooey.

At cold temperatures, the polymers are coiled up and allow the oil to flow as their low numbers indicate. As the oil warms up, the polymers begin to unwind into long chains that prevent the oil from thinning as much as it normally would. The result is that at 100 degrees C, the oil has thinned only as much as the higher viscosity number indicates. Another way of looking at multi-vis oils is to think of a 20W-50 as a 20 weight oil that will not thin more than a 50 weight would when hot.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:34 AM   #3
jsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsmarine is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: 6th Motor Transport Battalion
Name: Jeff
jsmarine's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, go for it. You will be just fine.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
ailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedailll1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
ailll1's Tacoma Gallery
The 10w30 is just thicker oil at low temp compared to 5w30. I dont how cold it gets in San Francisco but 10w30 oil shouldnt be a problem
Old 06-22-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Your truck gon' blow up.
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
The 01 owner's manual shows both, depending on anticipated temprature range, but with a ton of overlap. Dont' have it in front of me, but bascically, you'd only have to use 5 if you had regularly freezing, and only have to use 10 if you were regularly over 100 or desert.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #9
strangeland is on a distinguished road
strangeland's Tacoma Gallery
I Never run 10-w30 conventional because the oil industry uses this grade in particular to get rid of its low grade bases( I, II ) . Other conventional grades are usually (II & III's) but since your running synthetic it should be Almost all grade(IV)bases.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #10
Don't be a dick
ARB1977 has a spectacular aura aboutARB1977 has a spectacular aura about

ARB1977's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Freek View Post
No noticeable difference whatsoever.

I use ONLY Rotella synthetic T6 5-40 in mine, best oil out there, go to Bob the oil guys website and look it up!
Have you done uoa's to prove its the best? Even if you compair the same engines I can almost be certain all will have different wear numbers.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARB1977 View Post
Have you done uoa's to prove its the best? Even if you compair the same engines I can almost be certain all will have different wear numbers.
unless it makes a mpg difference that is worth it or you're keeping your engine 500K miles it's a waste of money. I've known people that used conventional, average cheap motor oil and tore their engines down after $200K miles and it looked great. I'm not advocating conventional oil, just making a point.