Notices

High Pitch whistle/whine when cold

Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Tashier is on a distinguished road
Name: Sean
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
High Pitch whistle/whine when cold

Well,

I've had this problem almost since the truck was new and heck I thought I would throw it up here. It hasn't posed any issue that I know of other than being annoying.

Basically when the truck is cold it will whistle from the engine. The pitch goes higher and lower with RPM. I thought maybe it was something in the timing belt but even after I changed the timing belt and waterpump it still did it. I'm pretty sure this is an air noise and not a belt noise as changing the belts made absolutely no difference. Almost like the intake manifold is sucking air when it's cold or something.
Old 06-22-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check your vacuum lines? Kinda sounds like one popped off.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #3
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
Did you check your vacuum lines? Kinda sounds like one popped off.
Ya, I've looked all over around in there. I never found anything obvious. Such a weird deal, I should record it if I could. I swear it's gotta be the intake manifold. Then when it warms up it seals off and goes away. But, it's ran fine for the last 70,000 miles like that.
Old 06-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
UOFan is on a distinguished road
Army: ROTC/US Army Reserve
UOFan's Tacoma Gallery
I have another thread about a high-pitched whistle (not a whine) coming from under the hood (I think) as well. Maybe some of the responses can help you out: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...tle-issue.html
Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by UOFan View Post
I have another thread about a high-pitched whistle (not a whine) coming from under the hood (I think) as well. Maybe some of the responses can help you out: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...tle-issue.html
Thanks but since yours is a 4 banger there's probably not much in common. Your engine is completely different.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
Man, I think I have someone's 4 runner, same v6 3400 engine, same problem. Definitely not a belt noise as I intentionally replaced ALL belts, tensioners, waterpump etc. when I did the timing belt. Same exact noise after.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Tashier's Tacoma Gallery
I guess another way to describe this noise would be like filling up a balloon and letting a little bit of air slowly leak out making a high pitch squeal. Only when it's cold. When warm, gone. Summertime, no noise ever. Been like this for over 10 years.