1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ball joint recall

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sedrock, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    sedrock

sedrock [OP] Member

Member:
    Largobeach
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner v6 dc
    5100's, AAL, ARE topper, Deckplate mod, black steelies
    I was hearing a clunk sound near my rt front wheel mosty when turning, I found the upper ball joint has some play and the boot has a hole. After some reading on the site I discovered a few things regarding the ball joints, one is the lowers have a recall and two is to get moogs. So my question is....do I get the uppers done by mech(trusted) knowing I'll get moogs and then take to the dealer and get the recall lowers and the alignment for free or do I let the dealership do the uppers as well and pay top dollar?

2001 v6 dc with 107,000 miles (2 weeks ago replaced:timing belt, water pump, thermostat, plugs, valve covers and gasket, pcv valve and all external belts)

Thanks

2. Jun 23, 2012 at 7:48 AM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Quick question, do you know that the "ball joint" campaign has NOT been done to your truck already ???

My reason for asking, some dealers ignored this "small recall" and it becomes a bear to try to get it now....:mad:.....

Hopefully you have a good relationship with their service department,then "hit" them up with your plans;;; Have them price the other work and "Match" the outside vendors price or you will use them for JUST the "Recall work".... Good CSR marks help Toyota dealers and eating a few $$$$ to keep everything in house is smart $$$..

Good luck.....

3. Jun 23, 2012 at 8:34 AM
    Ninja

Ninja The Lone Wolf of TW!

Member:
    First Name:
    Charles
    Arizona
    Vehicle:
    '04 Prerunner SR5 Reg. Cab
    ^^^^This

Since they are already working on the truck the do the recall work, it really shouldn't require much more work to install the uppers as well. If your friendly with the service department, work a deal to pay for the parts for "your" work and add a small service to cover the labor, the rest is on Toyota's dime not the dealer.

4. Jun 23, 2012 at 9:44 AM
    sedrock

sedrock [OP] Member

Member:
    Largobeach
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner v6 dc
    I do not have the skills or the tools!

No it has not, I'm the original owner and was never notified like some of the other recalls.

I will contact the service dept and see what we can workout especially if I willing to provide or pay for all 4 moogs joints????

5. Jun 25, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    sedrock

sedrock [OP] Member

Member:
    Largobeach
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner v6 dc
    Update: service dept is doing the bottoms(recall) but with their bj's and $335.00 for the labor(2.5hrs) of the uppers. They said they couldn't honor recall with outside parts. Went to buy the 2 uppers and one was 555 without the zerk and one was US with zerk, had to find another store with the zerk so bothe the uppers are the same.
    So for under $450 4 new ball joints....going on a 2000 mile road trip in two weeks with the wife and kids so I just want things safe and right!

Thanks for the help!

Products Discussed in

To Top