Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Friends looking at buying this tacoma any advice?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Friends looking at buying this tacoma any advice?

My buddies looking at picking up this tacoma: http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dd...ealer_id=71388

The tailgate doesn't look as beat up in person. Were not sure if the timing belt has been changed. There are 130,000 miles on it. What else could be harmed by not changing the belt?

I told him $14,500 seems a bit steep for a truck that looks like it was used everyday as a work truck. Any suggestions? We're having a mechanic take a look at it on Monday.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
dfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the sheddfrugia is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Goose
dfrugia's Tacoma Gallery
That rig has hauled a lot of stuff. I would move on.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
tostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shedtostidos is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
tostidos's Tacoma Gallery
14,500 seems a lot for a first gen
Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfrugia View Post
That rig has hauled a lot of stuff. I would move on.
Thanks, thats what I was telling him.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Milage is not bad since it'll last 2 or 3 times longer. Asking price is at the high end but that's what a dealer does. It was used to haul a lot but a spray in bed liner will make it look good. Carfax was OK, single owner a plus. My only concern would be if the timing belt was replaced. Have then offer $13500 and they do a timing belt and water pump.
Old 06-23-2012, 01:53 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
ITS hard to say until you drive it, but that is what they retail for here around chicago, i doubt they are going to budge to much on price, to me it just depends on how bad he wants it.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I think it is too much for that condition. Top dollar means the body isn't f'd up beyond a few minor door dings. It looks like someone laid the Tailgate down hard on the bumper--you can see the mark from the top of the bumper in the gate.

The bed is trashed. If the bed was treated that way, how was the rest of the truck treated? Even as a work truck the PO could have used a liner or mat. It also indicates the suspension may be trashed from overloading. Did you look at it or drive it? He could be in to up to a grand to replace it.

The new looking BFGs are attractive, but how much tread is on them, and are they just a distraction from the other negatives. I'd rather buy a sound-bodied truck that needs new meats.

The frame looks freshly painted, and this is in a snow/salt state. Are there records for frame replacement, or at least testing? Run the VIN at toyotaownersonline.com to see if there is an electronic record. The T belt might show up too. Also check for lower ball joint recall.

Personally, this truck tells a story I wouldn't want to be a character in. I would move on.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:22 PM   #8
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
Dealer buys it at an auction for under 10K... washes it and tries to make over $4.5k - top dollar for a truck not in excellent condition - buy from a private seller and never pay even low book, unless it's a low mile, mint condition truck.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
I paid 13K for my 05 access cab SR5 with 125K miles on it. The dealer I bought from had gone over it with a fine tooth comb though. New tires, alignment, brakes, service the transfer case etc. That seems a little high if you ask me.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
Ka like a wheel
F75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shedF75gunslinger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
F75gunslinger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
I paid 13K for my 05 access cab SR5 with 125K miles on it. The dealer I bought from had gone over it with a fine tooth comb though. New tires, alignment, brakes, service the transfer case etc. That seems a little high if you ask me.
Nice to find another local face in the TW crowd.

OP,for that kind of money I would think your friend could do better !
Old 06-23-2012, 02:36 PM   #11
Coolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoolerman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Coolerman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Can't compare it to a second gen. The first gen is in a class of its own.
True, but I thought I would throw my 2 cents in anyhow as they are only a year apart.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #12
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
I paid 11,500 for my 01 a couple months ago. It seemed like a lot but once I saw it in person and drove it I didn't care. The exterior was in awesome shape as was the interior. That exterior does not look that good. I would pass on that truck
Old 06-23-2012, 03:18 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Does your friend need the utility of a truck bed? If not, look into 4Runners of similar year and milage - they tend to have depreciated more.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
they are 100% different though. Only the name they have in common
And the 3rd brake light, power window switches...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:20 PM   #15
WiscTaco is on a distinguished road
Army: Prior guardian of freedoms.
WiscTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stowayman View Post
Dealer buys it at an auction for under 10K... washes it and tries to make over $4.5k - top dollar for a truck not in excellent condition - buy from a private seller and never pay even low book, unless it's a low mile, mint condition truck.

Second that. Also get it up to temp and then check to see if all the gaskets on the engine are still leak proof. Perhaps throw some cardboard under it as well for 10-15 min so you can spot oil leaks.

Go through all the gears (4wheel hi low etc), and diff lock as well.

You can also get the vin and call a toyota dealership to double check for recalls (frame test).

Like previously mentioned, private owners are the way to go, much easier to get them to drop the price. There are a lot of really good tacomas out there, so if you get one that hasn't been beat to crap, it will last well past your loan date.

Happy hunting.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #16
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3049531526.html

A little more at 15,500, but an option none the least.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:28 PM   #17
However I did just see it mentioned new engine and transmission, so I imagine that is a bad thing. That is a big can of worms you could be getting into. Oh well, you get the idea.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #18
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
thats too much for that truck, its obvious it was used and abused. the outside condition of a vehicle can tell you a lot about how it was treated, id pass on this deal. i would maybe at the most go $8500-9000
Old 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM   #19
GLD01 will become famous soon enough
Name: Jamie
GLD01's Tacoma Gallery
Wouldn't even bother test driving that truck. As others have said, these pictures tell a story, and the asking price makes it worse. Be patient and wait for the right truck. This isn't the one. That asking price is criminal.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #20
Gelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGelo760 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Gelo760's Tacoma Gallery
I laugh when I see ads like this . To me it says " I have this Toyota Tacoma for sale and if you want it , I'm going to rape your wallet ".