1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rear pinion seal question

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2003toyotatacoma, Jun 23, 2012.

1. Jun 23, 2012 at 2:35 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

2003toyotatacoma [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    Installed the new rear pinion seal, tapped in the rear seal flush with the outer third member, put everything back together, and its still leaking.

Question: I questioning "myself" as to, "should I have tapped the rear pinion seal further in, rather than flush with the outer memebr" :confused:, did I install it wrong? :confused: Should I have tapped in further :confused:? I did not visually see any damage to the new seal while installing it in.

Is there another seal before the "pinion shaft" that I should have replaced:confused:? All that I noticed is a when removing the original "old" pinion seal is a large O-ring (larger washer) that slid onto the pinion shaft before the rear pinion seal. I took it off to take a look at it, installed the new pinion seal, forgot to put the metal O-ring back on before installing the "NEW" pinion seal, kick myself in the ass and had to redo another new pinion seal, this time installing the O-ring metal washer and then the pinion seal, again for a final install...dummy.:mad:

I dont believe that I over filled the rear diff fluid, but it could be possible. Filled it on a flat surface until the fluid started to run out the fill hole, then capped it shut.

Lost, dont know what to do. I did notice the oil starting to leak from the NEW rear diff seal area when I parked the Taco backwards on the driveway incline.

Any input would help out...thanks

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:48 PM
    FailRated

FailRated RTO

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    03 Double Cab TRD
    5100's w/ Eibachs, Front sway bar in trash mod, Diff drop, 265/75-16 Duratracs or 33x10.50 KM2's on 15x8 wheelers steels, ARB front bumper, Warn VR8000 winch, Trailgear sliders, Allpro rear bumper, Sky Offroad E-Locker guard, Sky Offroad weld on differential guard, Savage skid plates w/ Budbuilt cross member, e-locker rear, ARB air locker front, 4.56 gears, bought it from my mom who bought it new :-D
    I'm in the same boat buddy:(

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 7:55 PM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Check the pinion for play, check the pinion shaft where the seal rides for wear, did you clean it or inspect it? Make sure the seal went on the shaft correctly, you can use a feeler gauge to tuck it in if needed. As always, check the breather too, just rattle it around a bunch, maybe pop it out and clean it up.

4. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:35 AM
    neegdogdig

neegdogdig Untrained with bad experiences go go go!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    3rd Gen DC V6
    Did you put the seal first or the pinion? I replace my rear gear and pinion a couple weeks ago I applied a thin layer of motor oil around and inside the seal and hit it with rubber hammer until it seats flush with the housing then applied another thin layer of motor oil on the pinion and push it through the seal from the inside out then do some visual inspections and check for wear and tear. If the surface of your pinion is smooth then you should not have any leak, other wise you are using the wrong size of seal.
    My is an 02 Tacoma 4cylinder 4wd. 2.7l. engine. It's not too complicate to work on the gear swap.
    Now I have one top question and seeking for an answer, I swap my rear gear to a 5.29 but my front gear is still at 4.20. Is it going to do any harm to my tranny or transfer case when I engage the 4 wheel drive? Any inputs is appreciated, thkx.

5. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:55 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Pics speak volumes.....:)

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 7:44 AM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    Will post picks once I get under the truck again this afternoon, Question: Is there any other seals that may need replacing? Looking under the truck, I have noticed a large amount of rear diff fluid that has leaked over the past three days, I'm thinking that the leak is lower than the pinion seal. If the pinion seal was "bad", it would only leak from that "mid" level, I am assuming.I have done the axle seals, no visual leaks from the end of axles or drum area. What about the seal that attaches the third member to the axle?

Man what a pain in the rear...rear end that is.....kill yourself...standby for pics tonight.

7. Jun 26, 2012 at 8:31 AM
    magog45

magog45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada, just south of Santa
    Vehicle:
    98 tacoma 4x4 extended cab
    5100's all around, 2.75 inch lift, polyurethane body mounts, gibson exhaust, variation of the deckplate mod, intake resonators removed 285-75-16 goodyear AT
    There are basicly 6 places the rear axle assembly can leak from assuming the housing isn't cracked, either of the 2 axle seals, the pinion seal, the drain or fill plugs and the interface between the third member and the housing. A good cleaning should tell you which place pretty fast if its leaking like you say. You will want to check the vent as well as it never seems to leak from there but if it is plugged the buildup up pressure can cause leaks at the other seals and like the crazy old man said pics speak volumes.

8. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:34 AM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

This....:)

9. Jun 26, 2012 at 12:10 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    Thanks so much for the help Doug, magog45,needdogdig,maxamillion..you guys bring hope and answers to us average wrenchers. Wish me luck boys, im putting on my work cloeths and getting back under the taco.

10. Jun 26, 2012 at 1:02 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    Opened my fancy little Haynes repair manual and it doesnt have "any " information as to replacing the seal that is locatedin the interface between the third member and the housing of the rear axle, no torque specs..nada.i dont know if you use a seal or sealant... anyone know of a link or a video, would help out or just any guidance.

11. Jun 26, 2012 at 2:45 PM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    Throw the haynes manual in the trash.

12. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:39 AM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    Pulled the leaking pinion seal, found out that I had torn it because I didnt lube the inside of the seal that slides over the pinion shaft , during the install. So the flange ripped it when I installed it into the pinion seal.
    IMAG1093[1].jpg

Grease is your friend

To all the members that helped , thanks..

13. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:44 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    My thought was that the seal was not lubed where it wore on the pinion and heat destroyed the seal, or that a grove in the pinion was a cause for the leak. in that case the pinion could be removed and speedy sleeved, not sure if its possible to install the seal and not position it as it was before removal where as the grove in the pinion would not be positioned on the seal, if that makes any sense.

14. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:29 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    IMAG1099[1].jpg Here is the Flange, only had a dark ring around the pinion shaft where it made constant contact with the inner seal. I didnt feel any dents or ridges in it.

15. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:40 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    IMAG1102[1].jpg

had to fab out a special high-tech tool to install the pinion seal.

What I did wrong. I did not grease/lube the original pinion seal inside the inner seal that slides over the pinion shaft.

Also I used a hammer and worked my way around the seal, tapping it in. The 2x4 would have given me a flush mount with every tap.

16. Jun 29, 2012 at 1:44 PM
    2003toyotatacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Las Cruces, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco prerunner
    Stock
    IMAG1106[1].jpg

Also "hot summer pink" is the great color to use to mark the original postion of the pinion nut and drive shaft/flange. Took the wife nail polish, she never noticed...:D

Products Discussed in

To Top