LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Off-Road: Are we really better?

Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #1
In over my head...
james has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant futurejames has a brilliant future

Army: P.O.L.
james's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Off-Road: Are we really better?

So I got to thinking: if other truck companies have similar discussion boards for their brand of truck as we do for Tacoma, what other things could be similar? Here's my question:

Are Toyota Tacomas (small lightweight trucks), are our trucks actually *better* at off-roading as other trucks we see and share the road with? Are we better than, say... a Nissan truck? A small Ford truck? A Jeep? Or... are we measuredly different and in what respect? Clever engineers work for a variety of different countries and don't come from a specific ethnicity: in my experience, excellent designers and engineers don't all work for just Toyota. So my question is, to what extent are our Tacomas any better or worse at doing the usual run-of-the-mill things that people put their trucks through???

...or are our trucks actually better than the comparable Nissans, Fords, Dodge's and the like?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
yippee ki yay mother cluckers
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
we carry a higher price tag

Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #3
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Nope. It's IFS...so for being a baja/long traveled truck, potentially. When it comes to the rest, I'd have to say Jeep is the leader. I have experience with wheeling both and you really cannot beat having a solid front axle......Tacomas are really quite expensive....but you pay more and yes have a higher re-sale value....or you pay less for another truck and have a less re-sale value.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:45 PM   #4
650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed650H1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Mike
650H1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Nope. It's IFS...so for being a baja/long traveled truck, potentially. When it comes to the rest, I'd have to say Jeep is the leader. I have experience with wheeling both and you really cannot beat having a solid front axle......Tacomas are really quite expensive....but you pay more and yes have a higher re-sale value....or you pay less for another truck and have a less re-sale value.
id rather be in my truck any day over any of the new jeeps.. now, an older cj, sure, but back then toyota pick ups had solid front axles too so.... idk, i think i might still pick the yota.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 650H1 View Post
id rather be in my truck any day over any of the new jeeps.. now, an older cj, sure, but back then toyota pick ups had solid front axles too so.... idk, i think i might still pick the yota.
I've been plenty happy with my XJ and also like it a lot more than my old tacoma...much more capable and a complete upgrade for me IMO.

Old 06-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #6
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Come on, you and I both know you cannot compare a stock solid axle heep to a stock IFS taco. If you are doing straight crawling kind of wheeling then the heep will have the advantage.

However if we are comparing all pick ups across the board, then I believe yes. The Tacoma/Hilux is the top dog when it comes to the off road category. The Tacos have the most clearance, a perfect compact maneuverable size, best options, great suspension set up, amazing 4wd system, and proven and famous reliability and ruggedness. I could care less how much "better" a Cherokee off roads than my taco, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I'll take my taco any day. Now swap out that IFS with a similar solid axle and the taco will spank that Cherokee.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
Come on, you and I both know you cannot compare a stock solid axle heep to a stock IFS taco. If you are doing straight crawling kind of wheeling then the heep will have the advantage.

However if we are comparing all pick ups across the board, then I believe yes. The Tacoma/Hilux is the top dog when it comes to the off road category. The Tacos have the most clearance, a perfect compact maneuverable size, best options, great suspension set up, amazing 4wd system, and proven and famous reliability and ruggedness. I could care less how much "better" a Cherokee off roads than my taco, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. I'll take my taco any day. Now swap out that IFS with a similar solid axle and the taco will spank that Cherokee.
No. My XJ can and has taken me places your Tacoma wouldn't even be able dream of. I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are. Also, I disagree about tacomas having maneuverability...my 99 sucked at turns and I found it extremely hard to even park at times because of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by achirdo View Post
Yes Toyotaoff-road.com is better
I thought the same damn thing when I read the title...lol Mentally, I said, "Ok, which one of those drunks ventured over here and made a thread"

But yes Adam, TOR is better.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:37 AM   #11
Dolan Plz
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
No. My XJ can and has taken me places your Tacoma wouldn't even be able dream of. I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are. Also, I disagree about tacomas having maneuverability...my 99 sucked at turns and I found it extremely hard to even park at times because of that.
Really connor, really? Are we pulling this shit out? " I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are"

I'm also not trying to turn this into a pissing one upping match where you tell us all how much better your stupid jeep is than my truck.

I just said you can't compare a solid axle jeep to an IFS taco...meaning they are not on the same level. Like i said the jeep has the advantage. I'm not quite sure where that shows that I don't know how suspension works or how it is necessary for you to reaffirm that in the last month and a half you have owned the thing you taken your heep places my truck has never DREAMED of.

I'm also sorry you don't know how to park a mini truck, I have fit into compact car spaces in parking garages and usually make it in and out of parking spaces with one turn. I find no issue with the turning except when flipping a bitch in a neighborhood.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #12
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I think Tacos are better at doing everything well. You can daily drive it and wheel it on weekends. For full hardcore offroad use nothing beats a Jeep but I wouldn't want to live with one everyday unless it was a fully loaded Grand Cherokee. We are talking about factory vehicles here not something you or a shop can make.

The Toyota owners that think they own the best choice of vehicle on the planet are just fanboys.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:42 AM   #13
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
Of all the projects Ive had...I wish I had one of these...
A comanche would make for a fun project.

Quote:
Really connor, really? Are we pulling this shit out? " I don't quite think you understand the way suspension works either...and the differences between IFS and SFA and what their uses of where they shine are"

I'm also not trying to turn this into a pissing one upping match where you tell us all how much better your stupid jeep is than my truck.

I just said you can't compare a solid axle jeep to an IFS taco...meaning they are not on the same level. Like i said the jeep has the advantage. I'm not quite sure where that shows that I don't know how suspension works or how it is necessary for you to reaffirm that in the last month and a half you have owned the thing you taken your heep places my truck has never DREAMED of.

I'm also sorry you don't know how to park a mini truck, I have fit into compact car spaces in parking garages and usually make it in and out of parking spaces with one turn. I find no issue with the turning except when flipping a bitch in a neighborhood.
Really.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #15
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:

Old 06-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #16
Dolan Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by whippersnapper02 View Post
For once, in a god dam blue moon, can we have a thread with a conversation without stupid shit like this popping up in it? No i'm not mad at all, and you posting that stupid picture adds nothing of value to this thread other than to give you a little smirk and give you the illusion that lets you think that you are clever and have just done something really funny.

Old 06-24-2012, 12:54 AM   #17
Banned
Quote:
For once, in a god dam blue moon, can we have a thread with a conversation without stupid shit like this popping up in it? No i'm not mad at all, and you posting that stupid picture adds nothing of value to this thread other than to give you a little smirk and give you the illusion that lets you think that you are clever and have just done something really funny.

^^^^You really should because you are clearly a mad fanboy.

Old 06-24-2012, 01:04 AM   #19
Banned
Quote:
yes. clearly I am a mad fan boy. Go ahead and call me whatever you please. But believe me I have no unwarranted notions on the ability of my truck.
The last time I offered someone a cookie I got banned so here is a slice of banana cream pie for you and your truck.

Ok 2 slices:

Closed Thread