Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

the deck plate mod

Old 06-24-2012, 06:01 AM   #1
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

2004tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
the deck plate mod

Doesn't that just suck in hot air from the engine compartment
Old 06-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
I am not sure . That is a good quistion. I would think maybe some but it is still sucking air from the eibow like stock . I did it to mine and love it. I have had no problems and I live in Arizona. Lots of guys have done it and they also have not reported any problems. What I do know for sure is it made a big differencs in the proformance!!!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
From what I can see its just a noise maker IMHO!
Old 06-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
From what I can see its just a noise maker IMHO!
I have done it to my truck and it dos make a difference!! If you leave the stock intake tube and the silencers in, it is not loud at all!! IMHO !
Old 06-26-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough2004tacoprerunner is a jewel in the rough

Well, I did mine using 4" PVC with silicone sealant and the screw in clean out cap as the cover. I don't know if it did anything when It was cool but in today's stop and go traffic the Intake Air Temp was pushing 140F. Today's temps were in the mid 80's and tomorrow it's supposed to be in the mid 90's and high humidity.
I'm putting the cap in place and decided I will only leave it off if the temps are 70-80 or lower. My normal IAT is around 100 on hot days in stop and go traffic without the mod. It hit just below 100 on the highway with the cap off.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 PM   #6
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind the deck plate mod along with all other CAI systems is to allow more air in, thereby increasing engine performance. Regardless of ambient temperatures, the 4" hole cut into your factory CAI shouldn't negatively affect performance as opposed to say a rip off K&N CAI which is a poorly sealed (completely) open element air filter.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #7

so the increased air temp isn't so bad as opposed to the extra air being let in.
Okay, I'll leave it off and so how it goes. Just worried about the huge temp swing.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
tape off the silencers! it makes her roar haha. But seriously its probably my favorite thing ive done(which isnt too much haha) and i havent seen where any body has had anything negative come from it. Other than that guy who left his truck sittin for a while and a mouse ate a hole through his filter and got sucked into the intake. But what do you expect when you leave somethin sittin for a while
Old 06-26-2012, 11:30 PM   #9
TheMike515 will become famous soon enough
TheMike515's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, despite its name a CAI pretty much just sucks warm engine compartment air as well - little shied between the element and the engine can't do that much to help.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMike515 View Post
Yeah, despite its name a CAI pretty much just sucks warm engine compartment air as well - little shied between the element and the engine can't do that much to help.
I'd like to see this hooked up to some sort of Ram air mod!! Though the engine bay at 60mph has to be alittle cooler I'd imagine than at stand-still idle.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:04 AM   #12
defleppardsg is on a distinguished road
Name: chris
defleppardsg's Tacoma Gallery
There are a ton of threads about this, just search around. I did this mod about a year ago, idk if it made any real performance difference, but I do actually believe that I gained maybe 1/2mpg from it. I dont feel more power, but I can tell a difference in the sound. No problems so far.

I remember when I was researching it, I found a thread with a link where someone on TTORA did a controlled experiment where they did a DYNO test on a Tacoma comparing the HP w/ the stock intake, an aftermarket CAI, and the deck plate mod. The deck plate mod gave the highest horsepower, then the stock intake, the lastly, the CAI. Wish I could find that link now for you...
Old 06-27-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
I did this mod on my 96 and had it for years..... stock airbox and K&N filter. Left it open most of the time, except when offroading.

Gave the truck a little extra pep when stomping on the gas. Wasn't loud at all - was just a 4" hole in the airbox.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #14
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
I did this mod on my 96 and had it for years..... stock airbox and K&N filter. Left it open most of the time, except when offroading.

Gave the truck a little extra pep when stomping on the gas. Wasn't loud at all - was just a 4" hole in the airbox.

Hi, I have been meaning to thank you for the write-ups on the taco's.. it sure has come in handy to have several different ways to tackel or solve a problem, and the pics help also.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:39 AM   #15
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
Hi, I have been meaning to thank you for the write-ups on the taco's.. it sure has come in handy to have several different ways to tackel or solve a problem, and the pics help also.
Thanks!
I wish I could keep up with the newer stuff - but I'm just not as young anymore and don't work on things as much.

Believe me, I research these forums for all sorts of information and can't THANK everyone enough for the information here!!
Old 06-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #16
4Running
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
It's cheaper and more effective than buying an aftermarket CAI.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 AM   #17

I'm keeping the intake silencers in place. Not happy with them off, Too buzzy.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:18 PM   #18
VintageFast will become famous soon enoughVintageFast will become famous soon enough
Name: Jim
VintageFast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post

Same here except I cut window screen and glued it with silicone over the hole.

It made a huge difference with my '02 Dbl cab. I can't say how much hp I gained but it's like having a small shot of nitros when I hit the gas (I drag race motorcycles). It also gave me better throttle response right of idle.
Old 06-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004tacoprerunner View Post
I'm keeping the intake silencers in place. Not happy with them off, Too buzzy.
You will get 5 to 6 HP more by leaving the silencers in!
Old 06-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #20
stucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nicestucksucksnayota is just really nice

Name: Barry
stucksucksnayota's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to stucksucksnayota
After I did the deck plate mod on my truck I couldn't really notice a huge difference in power or mpg. But it is in theory a cheaper way to add "cold air intake" to your truck.
And honestly most cold air intakes are just a tube with a filter on the end of them that are on the top of your engine so I have never understood the cold air part because it is still sucking up hot air from under your hood.
But the deck plate mod does allow your engine to breath easier and better so it should give you a little bit of add performance for $15 or so.