1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

did many searches, Need clarification On A340f Transmissions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ihavataco98, Jun 24, 2012.

1. Jun 24, 2012 at 6:27 AM
    Ihavataco98

Ihavataco98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    turns out my little 98 2.7L has a A340f 4x4 transmission.

My question that I cant seem to find is:

1. Does the tranny have to be from another 2.7L
    2. will any A340f 4x4 bolt up to the transfer case?

Any and ALL information would be helpful because my tranny is slowly starting to die... its got slack in it and I wannt to change it out because im not giving up on my yotta. Thanks everyone for looking at my situation

specs of the truck are:
    1998 Sr5 4x4 2.7L Automatic

2. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Kind of a big project but not too hard, yes any other transmision that has the same code as yours will fit, even it it was from a V6, The tail peice and transfercases are all swappableas well. just make very sure all connections and plugs are the same.

The biggest thing to watch out for would be electronic kickdown vs manual kickdown cable, your truck should have a manual kickdown, that will be the main difference. other than that you should be good to go.

This is a huge pain in the ass to remove in your garage and I can't imagine putting the transmission back in without the truck on a lift and the transmission jack we used at the u fix it place.

Be careful with the fluid lines and make sure all is unplugged before you drop the transmission out.

and
    these pics walked me through most of it so here: (taken from ttora)
    3. Next, drain the transmission fluid: 4. Disconnect the rear driveshaft (Note: be sure that your rear wheels are chucked for safety): 5. Disconnect the shifter and all other sensors on the transmission (Note: the kick down cable can be disconnected from the throttle body): 6. Disconnect the ATF lines from the transmission using a flare wrench: 7. Remove the inspection plate from the front of the tansmission: 8. With a ratchet on the main pulley of the motor, turn the motor until you are able to access the first flex plate bolt: 9. With someone holding the ratched on the main pulley, remove the flex plate bolts one at a time: 10. Next remove the main transmission bolts. There are a total of 6 main bolts (17mm) and 2 bolts for the starter (14mm). The easiest way to access these bolts was with a universal joint (aka swivel joint) and about 24-30 inches of extensions. Removing middle bolt: Removing upper bolt: A shot of the clearance from the top removing one of the upper bolts (NOTE: if you are having problems with getting the upper bolts out, you can remove the shifter from the interior and use the ratchet from the top): 11. Using a block of wood and a jack, support the transmission from the oil pan: 12. Once the weight of the transmission is supported by the jack, remove the bolts holding the rear mount to the transmission: 13. Remove the rear crossmember: 14. Before removing the transmission, doublecheck to inusre that you've disconnected everything from the transmission.
    15. With another set of hands, slide the transmission back to pull it off the motor. Lower the transmission down and set it on a board to make it easier to slide out from under the truck: ​

3. Jun 24, 2012 at 10:51 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    And once again be careful with those lines and make VERY sure your torque converter is seated all the way before you reinstall.

4. Jun 24, 2012 at 11:00 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Its a giant fucking pain in the ass & Waaaaay ro expensive too

5. Jun 24, 2012 at 11:19 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Where the hell did my pictures go?! :mad::mad::mad:

Whatever, here is the link, scroll down for transmission pictures

6. Jun 26, 2012 at 4:10 PM
    hossmaster

hossmaster Well-Known Member

Member:
    League City, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2002 Converted / 2017 OR
    Was a PreRunner, now it isn't
    funny thing is that I have that 4x4 trans that they put in that green truck. Harold converted it back to 2wd.

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 4:40 PM
    Ihavataco98

Ihavataco98 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Will a transmission from a 04 4x4 2.7L Automaitc work? I found a friend that has one of those with 70k on it.... What would I have to do to make it fit?

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:03 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    no an 04 will have electronic kickdown

Products Discussed in

To Top