LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Doing front wheel bearings, how do I press the hub off the spindle?

Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #1
Tanjo is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Tanner
Tanjo's Tacoma Gallery
Doing front wheel bearings, how do I press the hub off the spindle?

Replacing front wheel bearing on my 03 4x4. I have the 'yota FSM, and it says to use a special tool to get the hub off the spindle, looks like a 2 jaw puller. I dont have that tool, but I have access to a press, and spent about an hour just trying to figure out how to press the damn thing apart. Anybody have any pics of how they did it? WITHOUT crushing your brake backing plate? I just dont see how to get anything under the spindle in a way that will support it enough to push the hub out of it.

Toyota wants 200 to do it, a very popular offroad shop wants 170 to do it, and this is with me taking the spindle and new bearing to them.

And I read somewhere that ill need a new ABS ring, any truth to that?

Thanks!
Old 06-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Does this help?
http://www.yotatech.com/f2/axle-hub-removal-235389/
Old 06-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
To secure peace, is to prepare for war
TacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJPP is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacomaJPP's Tacoma Gallery
How can Toyota not have an SST and procedure for doing so? F'ing ridiculous.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
The Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud ofThe Raisin has much to be proud of
Name: Mark
The Raisin's Tacoma Gallery
Take them to your local machine shop or autoparts store that has a machine shop. I did mine about a year ago and it only cost me about $50.00. I did take them all the parts, they just did the work.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Tanjo is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Tanner
Tanjo's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks everyone. yes, that link does help a little. I dont have a jig like that, or means to make one, but it gets me thinking about alternatives. Toyota does have an sst for it, its basically a 2 jaw puller. However, seeing and reading about peoples experiences getting them apart, I dont think a puller would do it. I will try a machine shop. None of the parts stores in my area have them, but maybe an independent one will tackle it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #6
squamish VFR will become famous soon enoughsquamish VFR will become famous soon enough

Canadian Coast Guard: Auxiliary volunteer
Name: Mike
squamish VFR's Tacoma Gallery
I had to scab together a jig. PITA. Vowed next time to order a version the includes the hub. Otherwise a better jig using a bottle jack.