Notices

Temperature issue in my 98

Old 06-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
Submariner is on a distinguished road

Navy: Retired Submariner
Name: Wayne
Submariner's Tacoma Gallery
Temperature issue in my 98

It seems that my temp gage moves alot while I am driving. Also it seems to take a long time to get warm.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks
Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #2
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
By no means do you want me diagnosing your truck. I'm just taking a guess here and seeing if it's what the actual mechanically inclined guys think:

Busted thermostat
Old 06-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #3
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Well, you have a problem, and we will need some more information to help find your problem. How many miles do you have on your Taco ? Have you changed your antifreeze ever ? Can you do your own repairs or do you take it to be repaired ?

From your information that you have provided, you have a bad thermostat. Have you changed it in the past and how long ago did you change it ?

When you reply with some more info, we will give you more help. Good Luck.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I flushed the coolant and replaced the hoses and thermostat on my truck this spring and it needed it. none of which was hard. it was dirty so it was tiime consuming. anyway one word of advise, go to the dealership or go to NAPA and get a high quality thermostat to replace your. I'm sorry but the cheap ones at the parts stores don't compare
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM   #5

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga tacoguy View Post
Well, you have a problem, and we will need some more information to help find your problem. How many miles do you have on your Taco ? Have you changed your antifreeze ever ? Can you do your own repairs or do you take it to be repaired ?

From your information that you have provided, you have a bad thermostat. Have you changed it in the past and how long ago did you change it ?

When you reply with some more info, we will give you more help. Good Luck.
My Taco has 150K on the truck. I just bought it a month ago.

The coolant looks like coolant suppose to look like. I guess. It does not overheat. just takes a long time to get warm. could the thermostat be stuck open?

I think that I can replace a therostat. I have done it in the past to my ford truck and to my jeep. Is there a trick to changing the Thermostat on a Taco.

How hard is it to do?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #6
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Taco has 150K on the truck. I just bought it a month ago.

The coolant looks like coolant suppose to look like. I guess. It does not overheat. just takes a long time to get warm. could the thermostat be stuck open?

I think that I can replace a therostat. I have done it in the past to my ford truck and to my jeep. Is there a trick to changing the Thermostat on a Taco.

How hard is it to do?
Yes, it's an easy fix.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
If the hoses are old and it gets hot at higher speeds, you could also have a collapsing hose. Might as well replace the top and bottom hoses while you are making a mess.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well i got my truck last fall, and thank god we did not have a winter, and this spring I flushed her out.... just so I would know how new the coolant was and how clean the radiator was... and it took 2 days... flush, fill, and run, it was very dirty. but its easy to do, and your will save a bundle doing it your self.
and remember like oil, auto parts stores are required to take back old anti-freeze.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #9
ferg79 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
ferg79's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same problem with my 98. Gauge all over the place. Had and air bubble in the radiator. Bled it out and no more problems.
Old 06-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I have done it in the past to my ford truck and to my jeep. Is there a trick to changing the Thermostat on a Taco.

How hard is it to do?
My '95 PreTaco thermostat stuck open and took forever to warm up. Easy to replace.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #11
Blackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to beholdBlackcat10 is a splendid one to behold
Army:
Blackcat10's Tacoma Gallery
When you replace your thermostat there is a small hole with a brass piece in the hole located on the outer ring of the thermostat. This is a air bleed. Make sur this is positioned up.
And yes it sounds as if your thermostat is sticking open.
Old 07-25-2012, 01:01 PM   #12

Smile

ok, here is an update,

Change the thermostat. peice of cake.

there was what looked like an o-ring stuck in the flow opening of the themostat which would not allow for the thermostat to fully close.

I wonder how long it was that way./ PO jeessss

everything works fine now. enging comes up to temp quick and maintains a steady temp on the gauge.

All is good.............
Old 07-25-2012, 01:05 PM   #13
Longtime Toyman
4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed4Wheelin4Banger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: DDG 996
Name: Randy
4Wheelin4Banger's Tacoma Gallery
Glad you got it fixed.