LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

A few weird problems I'm having

Old 06-26-2012, 08:31 AM   #1
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
A few weird problems I'm having

Howdy all,
I used to frequent this site a lot a few years ago. Life happened and I moved on. But I still have the same truck, a 96 Taco plain-jane reg cab with a 2.4 4 banger and 5 speed manual. It now has well over 250,000 miles.

Anyway, the truck has been making 2 strange noises and I thought I'd run this by some of you to see if there were some ideas as to what might be happening.

Problem 1: Squeaking sound when a depress the clutch. Actually this has been going on for YEARS. I've had the truck for almost 17 years and back when I was young a dumb I used to simply squirt WD-40 into the rear of the transmission bell housing and somehow that would stop the squeak for awhile. I now realize how stupid that was because I could have ruined the clutch plate that way. Two years ago I changed the clutch, used white lithium grease on the throwout bearing fork pivot joint and it was fine for about a year. Now it squeaks every time I depress the clutch. I have no idea what is causing this.

Problem 2: Another weird noise. If I've been driving for awhile and slow down to stop or something there is a strange 'groaning' sound. Its hard to describe. Its as if something is rubbing somewhere. Its coming from the front and almost sounds like its one of the wheels. I've looked under there and don't see anything obvious. I will disclose that I did change out the calipers and also one of the wheel bearings last year. But when I jack the front wheels up and give them a spin everything turns smooth and quietly.

Neither of these bother me a lot but they aren't going away either so I figure I should look into them.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Problem one has a fix here on the site. I'll find the link if it's not already posted by the time I finish typing.

Problem two sounds like a front wheel bearing. Lift the front end off the ground and see if the tire can move either side to side or up and down. At 250,000 it's a good idea to closely inspect those ball joints while you're down there.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:27 AM   #3
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
I think this is the link for the clutch squeak problem: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ap-tw-how.html
Old 06-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #4
bobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbobwilson1977 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bobwilson1977's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting. So what does putting that new spring in there do? Remove some of the play in the pivot joint of the pedal? What if you just went up in there and squirted lubricant on the joint?

As far as the ball joints, yeah, I probably aught to have it inspected. They're original and the truck has been through a lot over the years off-road wise.

Thanks!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #5
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
If the growling isn't from a wheel bearing it's quite possible a Cv axle. So many moving parts in the front end, it's hard to diagnose without visually inspecting in person.