1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Differential lash, help needed!

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by bolland83, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Jun 26, 2012 at 6:24 PM
    bolland83

bolland83 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Bilstien 5100 lifted struts, rear lift shackle, Pro Comp 16" rims, 265-75 tires, Kc light bar, Hella spotlights, Rock slider bars, Intake and Exhaust
    I've been trying to figure out why my truck jerks and clunks on takeoff, while shifting gears, and when getting on and off the gas. It's quite annoying and makes it a total bitch to drive, especially trying to drive slow, like in a parking lot at the store. I've done some poking around and have figured out that it's excessive lash (or play) in my rear diff. It's not axle wrap, the rear leafs are fine. With the truck parked and the tranny in neutral, you can rotate the drive shaft about a 1/4 turn. The clunk and jerk is the gearing moving through the slop and then all of the sudden it finally all makes contact and gets the wheels turning. Of course when you let off the gas everything gets rotated by force of the wheels, instead of from the drive shaft, thus taking up the play in the opposite direction, and setting up for another clunk and jerk when I hit the gas again.
    From when I have read, there is a way to adjust the amount of play in the gearing, I'm just not sure what all is involved, other than taking apart the axle and removing the 3rd member. This is also assuming that my gears aren't trashed. Anybody have any suggestions or info on adjusting a rear end?

2. Jun 26, 2012 at 10:48 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Well some say its a piece of cake, others sound like a bitch, I think its somewhere in between....:) I've never done it but I know you'll need a gauge for setting the lash & preload of the pinion too IIRC

I guess if you have the right tools to do it, & some skills its doable I'm going to have to do my pinion bearing sometime ...

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    The pinion nut isn't loose is it, the GM's that I have worked with have a crush sleeve to set the pre load on the pinion brg, is there a chance that Toyota has a crush sleeve and thats part of the problem?

The only time that I had to mess with the pre load on the pinion was when the pinion seal was replaced.

4. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:46 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    Adjusting the gearing is not to be taken lightly....... it's a critical adjustment and should be done by a professional to get it done right.

If your gears are worn - they are worn. Nothing you can do (or should do) to make them any better. If you make an adjustment to 'tighten' things up - you will only put pressure on the gear teeth that are already THIN from wear. The last thing you want...is to break a tooth (or teeth) and grenade the entire differential.

If you are that worried about it....pull the 3rd member and have someone look at it. Or, you could pay $$$ to have new gears put in. OR simply adjust your driving habits.....

My 96 tacoma had the same 1/4" rotation at the driveshaft when you spin it by hand. I simply changed the way I clutched & gassed.

5. Jun 27, 2012 at 7:57 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    This is how you adjust the backlash per the FSM Have you ruled out the u-joints because if you're getting a 1/4 turn of the shaft, you should be missing teeth off a gear or pinion. This honestly sounds more like a bad u-joint.

6. Jun 27, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    skytower

skytower Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma 4x4
    Hitch and wiring, aux back-up light, rear strobe lights, radio and underseat sub.
    Janster is giving you accurate advice. A properly set up diff will only get slop from wear or damage. Have it inspected/measured to verify.

7. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    bolland83

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Bilstien 5100 lifted struts, rear lift shackle, Pro Comp 16" rims, 265-75 tires, Kc light bar, Hella spotlights, Rock slider bars, Intake and Exhaust
    So I went through and greased everything on the drive shaft, the rear slip joint took quite a bit. The clunk is now almost gone, and the jerking on takeoff is much better. I think that may have been the majority of the issue. I'm thinking maybe the rear end is a little worn, but it's not as bad as I originally thought. I'm gonna just roll with it until it goes out, or until I get bigger tires, and then just get both diffs re geared. Good news is, I now know that my U joints are ok. I also found a video on how to re gear and set up a diff, it's not that complicated if you have the time and the tools. I think I will take it in to a shop though, as I have little free time, and none of the required tools. Here's a link to the video if any of you are interested, even if you don't have the tools, it's good to know what the process involves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAqAqODmcj4

8. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:29 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4

Yes, our diffs come with crush sleeves on the pinions.

9. Jun 30, 2012 at 5:12 PM
    Speed Freek

Speed Freek Tacoma Whisperer!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vista, Ca, Lake Havasu, Az.
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma V8 (LS1) swap
    LS1-T56 swap, Z06 ported heads, cam, Titanium valves, Kevlar clutch. Now building a forged stroker (383) and all the ponies! Old setup was rod-knockin on heaven's door...
    Its not something you normally adjust, if it is out of spec its going to need more than a lash adj..

What your describing is a common issue, in some cases it has a lot to do with the wimpy leaf springs allowing the axle to twist, lots of things under there that can cause that noise and feeling.

Leaf spring U-bolts loose, bad carrier bearing, bad or worn U-joints, these are a few places to start checking..

10. Jun 30, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    bolland83

Member:
    First Name:
    Gaelen
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    04 Reg Cab 4X4
    Problem solved, and actually it's no problem at all, just driver ignorance :D Apparently, the previous owner installed a powertrax lockright in the rear diff. Reading a few online reviews it seems the issues I'm having are all related to the way I drive, and the way the locker works. So I just have to learn how to drive with it. Here's a link to a review that describes exactly what I've been experiencing, and also explains why I have excessive lash in the drive shaft, apparently the lockright has a bit of extra lash.

http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/no-slip/review/?

Products Discussed in

To Top