Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

How to paint shifter boot?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:33 AM   #1
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
How to paint shifter boot?

Hey guys im looking to paint my shifter boot flat black but i dont think taking just taking regular spray paint to it would be a good idea would it? Any advice on how to do this?
Old 06-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #2
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I think rustoleum has a vinyl dye you can use on it. Madjik Man may chime in, I believe he has done it.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 AM   #3
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
I think rustoleum has a vinyl dye you can use on it. Madjik Man may chime in, I believe he has done it.
Thanks! Yeah i saw that when i searched so i pm'ed him. Just wondering if normal spray paint will work though? If not ill just go get some of the vinyl dye, but i still need to know how to prep it and everything so it lasts.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
It's super simple.

I used Duplicolor Vinyl & Fabric Dye (you choose flat or gloss black).

Lots of people swear by SEM paints too (they have a vinyl dye as well).

At Oreillys in the paint section there are Duplicolor surface prep wipes. I think they were $1.50 for one large wipe. Get that, wear gloves, wipe down the shifter boots and let it dry.

Then apply the vinyl dye. I did three or four light coats. The more dye you use, the stiffer the vinyl will become. After 14 years my boots were very well worn in, right after the dyeing, they were kind of stiff. But now a couple of months later after use, they broke in nicely.

Here's my ghetto rig for dyeing my boot(s)

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #5
milehighliving is on a distinguished road
milehighliving's Tacoma Gallery
Madjik: How's it holding up after a few months?
Old 06-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #6
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighliving View Post
Madjik: How's it holding up after a few months?
Perfectly.

The dye is permanent and gets absorbed into the vinyl.

It's not like spray painting plastic or metal where you can scratch it off if you please.

You'd tear the boot before you ever scratched off the dye.

It holds up just fine to cleaning too (spray 303 aerospace on a microfiber towel and wipe down the surface)

Same goes for the shifter knobs themselves.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #7
I deal with dead animals
meatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeatman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
meatman's Tacoma Gallery
I like the "other" uses for those type of clips! LOL
Old 06-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food
Monkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeysuncle is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
Monkeysuncle's Tacoma Gallery
I worked at my dads upholstery shop for years, we used SEM on the parts we needed to dye, but it all works, the key is surface prep, there can't be any armorall or wax or grease on it for the product to work, if there is anything like that the dye will fisheye and then it has to be re-dyed. Nice work Madjik
Old 06-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #9
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Stickers...lots and lots of stickers.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeysuncle View Post
Nice work Madjik
Thank you.

I am very pleased with how it turned out using the Duplicolor product.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:00 AM   #11

Just did it tonight was pretty simple! Thanks
Old 06-28-2012, 08:36 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
Just did it tonight was pretty simple! Thanks
And so it begins...
Old 06-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #13
tam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shedtam is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: tam
tam's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
Stickers...lots and lots of stickers.
lol'd.