Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

1995 tacoma Check engine Light. How to check engine codes?

Old 06-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
bwall is on a distinguished road
Name: Brantley
bwall's Tacoma Gallery
1995 tacoma Check engine Light. How to check engine codes?

i need to know how to check my 1995 tacoma's engine codes. i cranked her up today it had a little murmer in the idle every 5 seconds or so and then eventually the check engine light came on. any Help on how to check the code?
Old 06-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
around here u can go to a auto parts store and they have the hand held readers and will read it for free hoping you will order a part through them.. excpt. in california.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Could be a few things contributing to that issue. As posted previous, take it to somewhere like Autozone, O'Reillys etc. and they have scanners that can be plugged in to your truck right there in the parking lot and tell you what the code is.

Write the code down and any info that is listed with the code. At that point you can do a search here for what fixes it or post if you don't find anything. Plenty of info about and also plenty of people willing to help.

Anything get changed on the truck or happen to it before the stumble in idle started? Did some work in the engine area, power washed the engine, changed fuel stations etc.?

Would not hurt to double check connections and all your vac hoses to ensure on, tight and not leaking. From what you describe thought goes to the old standard of cleaning the idle control valve, but then you could have a simple miss fire issue.

Let us know what the code is.

Cheers
Old 06-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
bwall's Tacoma Gallery
I just put a new alternator in it and it wasnt doing all this before.
Old 06-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well its hard to say, but believe me unlike when i was a kid, get the code read, write down the problem code, google it, and you should have your answer right there.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #6
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Would not hurt to retrace your steps from doing the job. Look for anything loose or you may have knocked/bumped/broken while working under the hood.

While you are getting the codes pulled you might as well have the electrical system checked while you are there. Free also at the two stores I mentioned (I'm sure there are probably others).
Old 07-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #7
Dek Ngo is on a distinguished road
Name: D
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
The '95 models do not have an OBDII system on them, they use the first generation of OBD, so I'm not sure if Autozone can scan the codes or not. If you search on the internet there are some articles explaining how to use a paperclip to find the code.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dek Ngo View Post
The '95 models do not have an OBDII system on them, they use the first generation of OBD, so I'm not sure if Autozone can scan the codes or not. If you search on the internet there are some articles explaining how to use a paperclip to find the code.
If its a Tacoma it has OBDII.

Your statement would be true if he had a 95 Pickup.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post

x2, first gen tacomas has obd2.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #10
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
what gears you have with those 35? is still stock? jw
Old 07-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilove_taco_ma View Post
what gears you have with those 35? is still stock? jw
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...regearing.html
Old 07-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #12
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm I have a code of PO402 code and I can't seem to find anything on it except it's possible to need a DPF sensor. Anybody have any experience with this? The read out from autozone is excessive flow detected. I have a 95 V6 as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Dek Ngo is on a distinguished road
Name: D
Dek Ngo's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post

My bad, I must have picked up some mis-information somewhere...
Old 07-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #15
rme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shedrme is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Helicopter pilot still serving
rme's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #16
bwall's Tacoma Gallery
i got it scanned by a friend which is a good mechanic.. it is obd 2 by the way, only one code was present and it was a misfiring code. he told me to get new wires and plugs and i would be good to go. he erased the code and i drove it and the light never came back on. i asked him if he would also regear it for since it is stock right now and he is planning on doing that for me next week. he did the formula for my truck with the 35's and it turns out the best option for power and fuel efficiency would be to run the 4.88's. i'm planning on having the truck back next week.