1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tie Rod or Steering Gear?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Pat Masac, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 2:11 PM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    I've got a 1995 Tacoma V6 2WD with almost 320,000 miles on it. Recently I went on a 1500 mile trip and went in to get my tires rotated. The guy who rotated my tires noticed some side to side movement and said I needed some front end work. I took it to a local shop and he said that the movement was in the rack and pinion. There is no movement on the vertical axis (I've had both lower ball joints replaced). He said he has seen "way worse" so I went on about my trip with no problems. I've noticed no tire wear or shimmying but was curious as to what this might be, how serious it is and, mostly, what I need to do and how much it is going to cost. I had a lower ball joint separate once so I've learned to respect front end issues! Thanks. I've gotten a lot of good advice on this board.

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 3:02 PM
    tacoma guy

tacoma guy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Prerunner TRD
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    It sounds like the bushings on the rack and pinion need to be replaced. If the tie rod coming out of the rack is moving then you will need to replace the rack and pinion unit. As for cost that will depend on if you do the work your self or have it done and the type of parts you use.

3. Jun 27, 2012 at 10:35 PM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    Tacoma Guy, Thanks for the response. I was hoping it was the bushings. I'll check it tomorrow and see what I can figure out. If it's the rack and pinion unit is that what Toyota is calling the "steering gear"? You mean the whole piece with the power steering lines going into it? If so, that costs around 600 bucks where the bushings are about 15 dollars. Am I right on this?

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:39 AM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's on all four corners. Front set @ 0 with OME 883x coils. Alcon leaf springs. Viper Alarm. Wet Okole seat covers. WeatherTech Floor liners front and back. Oem Toyota chrome exhaust tip. ARE Shell. America Outlaw Wheels.
    Yes that is what they call the steering gear and its around 600.00 dollers give or take. I had mine done and it ran me about $ 800.00 for parts labor and an alignment. If you got 320.000 miles out of the original one thats impressive!;)

5. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:10 AM
    Pat Masac

Pat Masac [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Beaumont, TX
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma V6 2WD
    Tacoma Guy, Thanks again. You make a good point- can't complain after getting 320k out of it! I was confused on whether the steering gear could be replaced or if there were certain parts that could be replaced so you answered my question. If the steering gear is the problem I'll probably change it myself- doesn't appear to be too big a job but I'll have to pay for an alignment.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:24 PM
    tacoma guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Phoenix Az.
    Vehicle:
    No problem. Glad I could help!!:D

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 5:02 PM
    RacerP

RacerP Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4
    7th Injector kit, Trans Cooler, Donohoe c/o's, Billy's in the rear, FJ Cruiser Trail Team SE wheels.
    As far as racks go, I just used these guys for a remanned rack for my wife's Audi...http://jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/toyota.html

They were reasonable, great customer service, and the part worked great! Came with the inner rods as well.

8. Jun 28, 2012 at 8:46 PM
    Pol500

Pol500 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Duluth, MN
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD DC 4x4
    Deck plate, grey-wire, blue plug, alarm mod, clear corners, moved/painted badges, color matched grill, topper, 5100s, wheelers 5 leaf + 1.5 aal , OME coils, All-Pro rear bumper, Methods w/ 32's, converted HID Hellas, supercharger
    You do not need to replace the whole rack! Look at the rack bushings (physically holds the rack to the cross member) and the inner and outer tie rods. U have to move the boots to look at the inners. Rack bushings are known to go on these trucks so check those first

Products Discussed in

To Top