1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

How bad is a spacer front lift?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by kingston73, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:37 PM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    I've got about a 1inch lift out back and want to level the front. I know 5100's would be best but 1/4 inch spacers will be much cheaper and easier to install. How bad would they be?
    Also, if I go with the spacers is it just a matter of unbolting the top 3 bolts and putting the spacer on top?

2. Jun 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM
    Deercantseeme

Deercantseeme Well-Known Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    They are super easy to install. I did it on my truck. Now I'm looking into an ome lift. Do it right the first time. I wish I had. Makes the suspension a lot stiffer. Spacers are of course are a lot cheaper than a full overhaul but like they say, you get what you pay for.

3. Jun 28, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Spacers aren't good because while you are indeed lifting the truck, the stock shock doesn't get any longer. So you end up stressing the shock much more and actually loosing travel.

Get the 5100s. They are pretty cheap from down south motor sports with the TW discount. Plus your ride will be MUCH better and you'll gain a bit of suspension travel.

Do it right. Or don't do it at all.

4. Jun 28, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    YOU ARE LITERALLY GOING TO DIE

seriously, if you are going to take the time to rip apart your suspension you might as well put a real lift on it. 1" in the back and 1/4" in the front is useless, a waste of time and nobody will notice, not even you. Do it the right way. The cheapest "right" way to lift your truck is with the 5100s at 2.5" with stock coils and a 2" AAL or 2" Shackles. You will be glad you waited and spent the extra money to do it right.

5. Jun 28, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    austinramsay

austinramsay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Yuma, Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma TRD Doublecab
    If your not offroading or if you want a little stiffer ride theyre fine. I think it kinda stiffened my 150k mile shocks back to how they were originally. Ill sell you my 3" spacers for $35 shipped ;) i switched to a different lift.

6. Jun 28, 2012 at 1:53 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    I did too do it right. I got a lift coil and a longer shock. WAY better then any spacer. Cause like you I couldn't afford 1200 dollar coil overs. So yes..I did do it right.

My rear billies are leaking due to the length. Not the shocks themselves. I needed new bump stops to prevent my problem but didn't. User error. Marks are actually too short.

I'm sure you can look at your own shocks Ben and tell they have leaked a lot. Last time I rode in your truck they didn't dampen anything and I'm sure it hasn't gotten any better.

And as I said in my previous post it's more about the shock then the coils. The 5100 is designed to articulate much more then your stock Trd shock. That's why even pre compressing with the 5100 is much better.

I give your truck a year max of wheeling before the ride is total shit. Either that or you'll just be used to it and not notice till you actually put some real shocks and coil/leafs on there.

And Ben. I love you too man haha but please..don't encourage someone to put these on. It isn't worth it for most ppl.

7. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:39 AM
    tacotrd647

tacotrd647 Resident "dude"

Member:
    First Name:
    Caleb
    Ridgeway, Iowa
    Vehicle:
    02 Prerunner SR5 TRD
    KMC Enduro Wheels, 265/75/16 toyo open country at2
    I like my spacer lift...cheap and effective. fuck the "ride quality...its a damn truck ya pussies

tacomatime likes this.
  8. Jun 28, 2012 at 2:58 AM
    ffirg

ffirg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma SR5 TRD 4X4
    $$$
  9. Jun 28, 2012 at 6:43 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    Any small spacer lift is fine OME sells them with their lift coils to get more lift. So it shouldn't be to harsh or bad ride with such a small top plate spacer. With 1/4" you can use the stock length bolt anything larger you need extended bolts. Yes just remove the 3 top bolts and slide the plate it.

10. Jun 28, 2012 at 9:54 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    It was too right. The Toyotech Eibach coils are designed for the 5100s. They work perfectly with them for the ammount of travel they provide. And yes they do give more travel then stock shocks. They are longer..thus more travel. Not a HUGE improvement in travel like MidT or LT. But still better then stock.

I will agree that the OP 1/4'' top plate spacer isn't going to hurt anything. But I would never go higher then that personally.

And Ben totally fucked up his truck at Moab. The CV breaking wasn't in part to the spacers..but i am pretty sure that the way he abused it and the spacers is why his alignment went to shit.

Either way..upgrading a shock is way better then putting a spacer on..EVERY time. Putting a better part on the truck is always the right way. A spacer is not a better part. Its jeopardizes other parts of the truck more then a 5100 will ever do. Thats why its right.

11. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:13 AM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    No. The top plate spacer shoves the entire coil over down further. There is not preloading with a top plate spacer. The entire coilover just gets stoved down farther.

The difference between a preloaded 5100 and a preloading spacer is the shock. A stock shock with a preloaded coil loses a lot of travel cause the shock limits it.

A 5100 preloaded doesn't because its designed for a lift in the first place as its a longer shocks.

While yes a preloading spacer and a 5100 do the same thing in general, a 5100 is better due to it being made for a lift and its ability to actually handle the precomression unlike a stock shock.

12. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:14 AM
    Ihavataco98

Ihavataco98 Well-Known Member

Member:
    SPACERS+TACOMA= NO

13. Jun 28, 2012 at 10:29 AM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    If you are not pushing the suspension to the limits, you will not have a problem (not offroading hard) . If you do use the entire travel of the front suspension, YES you will have a problem.

09jsw likes this.
  14. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:14 AM
    kingston73

kingston73 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    North eastern Ohio
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4.0L 4x4
    Wow, I never thought there would be this much disagreement. Maybe a little more info from me will help things. Originally I put 1.5 aal's on because I had a CPA and my stock leaf springs were sagging (they were brand new because I had the frame replacement). A year later I sell the cap and now the rear is higher than the front. I didn't want to take out the aal's since they do help when I put a heavy load of logs or whatever. I do off road a little but nothing too extreme, and I was looking at top plate spacers for just a little bit of lift front. I'm looking at spending 50 for the spacers vs 200 for bilsteins.

15. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:18 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    I hate these threads, so much misinformation.

above coil spacer - ride quality doesn't change, possible damage to shock if you wheel it because you'll bottom out the shock before hitting the bumpstop
    I installed this with a 1'' rear block in 3 hrs.

in coil spacer makes your ride stiff because the stock coils are progressive, also much more labor intensive install.

5100's are useless without non progressive coils (eibach or ome), and is nothing more than an in coil spacer lift if used with stock coils.

16. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:27 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport

it's not a longer shock, the reason they don't lose travel is because when you use an eibach coil, the coil is longer, and is preloaded, but being a non progressive coil, it doesn't get stiff with preloading.

17. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:31 AM
    T@co_Pr3runn3r

T@co_Pr3runn3r XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Member:
    <----------------->
    Vehicle:
    08 RC Prerunner SR5
    SR5 and base model coils are the same and they are linear and they work fine with 5100s, even set at 2.5. Agreed that the TRD progressive coils are too harsh offroad with any preload and that the more expensive ome or eibachs would be more compliant offroad than either oem coils.

As far as the 1/4" taco lean top plate spacers go, they will give 1/2" lift up front, they fit with stock studs & level out some of the oem rake when not lifting the rear. I put them in when switching out my oem tokicos for the free TRDs left in the attic from another truck that got 5100s to level out my RC Prerunner using the linear base coils. It does make noticeable difference if you are only after slight posture correction and it rides just lovely. I would not suggest any other spacer lift. If you want lift enough for bigger tire clearance and robust offroad action then bigger spacer lifts are not it.

18. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:42 AM
    ILove2Drive

ILove2Drive Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    WV
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma 4X4 5 Speed Manual
    Halo headlights, Black tail light covers, dual exhaust, 5100s front and rear, eibach coils, wheelers 1.5 AAL, window tint, bow arrow antenna, bull bar, painted grille emblem, debadged, raceline rims, a few decals, CB radio, alpine HU, husky floor liners, tool box, mesh grill...and more to come eventually
    All depends on what you do with the truck really. I went with 5100s all around eibach coils and wheelers 1.5" AAL. For me I think that was a mistake because I spent way too much. My truck was a street princess and I don't take it wheeling at all. The most it does off road is Drivin up our old bumpy farm road about once a year pretty much. Looking back I should have just gone with a top plate spacer and blocks in the rear and it would have been just as effective for my uses.

19. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:47 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I just don't get it, for 50 bucks you can get some spacers that do nothing for your truck other than just lift it, or for 150 you can lift your truck with a shock designed to lift it the right way and upgrade your front shock in the process with brand new shocks.

Ben I realize some of us have not run spacers, but you don't need to personally do a mod to know that it is not the best way to do it. I mean we do this each time. Can we just agree that 5100s even on stock coils are better than spacers, and it is not that much more to just get a lift and upgrade the shocks.

My 5100s don't leak, I was just paranoid

20. Jun 28, 2012 at 11:51 AM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    no we can not, I don't agree that 5100's on stock coils is any better than an in coil spacer, and I believe it is worse than an above coil spacer if you are trying to get 2.5'' - 3'' lift. ESPECIALLY on an older truck, the old coils can't handle it.

I had 5100's and stock coils on my 01, it literally lifted 2.5'' and sagged back down about 2 inches within months, and rode like a brick.

Products Discussed in

To Top