Notices

Flush or no Flush

Old 06-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
762NateOh is on a distinguished road
Name: Nate
762NateOh's Tacoma Gallery
Flush or no Flush

Tranny of course

93k, just bought the truck. Tranny feels great, quick shifts.

I came from an older Mazda with the 4.0L and that tranny felt like a ticking time bomb. I didn't want to mess with it in fear of finishing it off.

I've heard great things about the toyota trannys - but I know there are different schools of thought. Flush it, drain and refill, or leave it alone?
Old 06-27-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I would drain it and refill since you don't know when it was last flushed. A flush will uncover damage already present.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
^that
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #4
Copy - thanks guys
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #5
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
I'm wondering the same thing. 62k miles, except I feel like it shifts slightly rough from 1-2 and occasionally 2-3.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:45 AM   #6
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaholandho View Post
As the Whip says - Drain and Refill. To many issues when flushing. Occaisionally the flush plugs lines and valves with debris loosened by the high pressure of the flush itself.
Of course that is only an issue after nor doing anything for a long time. Doing normal flushes prevents buildup.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
The Lone Wolf of TW!
Ninja is on a distinguished road

Name: Charles
Ninja's Tacoma Gallery
If the fluid is pinkish or bright red, a drain and fill is the way to go.

If the fluid is more blood red or brownish, talk to a Toyota dealer a "fluid exchange"..they swap the old fluid with new fluid, the system uses the tranny's own pump to do the work. It's non-evasive and I had it done when I did my 150k service...I'm at 160k now and no problems.

As other have pointed, if a place advertises a "tranny flush" or "power flush" be very cautious about what's being done. These services can be invasive and has been pointed out can stir up shit in the tranny and cause more problems than fix.

Trust me there are opinions all over the place, even from transmission shops, on drain and fill, dropping the pan, fluid exchange or flush. One guy will say "do it", the other "depends" and another "never".
Old 06-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Regular maintenance is key. If you take care of things on a regular basis, you usually don't have a lot of trouble. I have done transmission flushes on customer's vehicles for years. I have seen it fix sticking shifts and lazy shifts several times. I have never seen it cause a problem. That is not to say that flushes have never caused a problem, but if done CORRECTLY they shouldn't.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #9
jeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shedjeepdude is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jesse
jeepdude's Tacoma Gallery
Damn you BamaToy....another 5 mins lost staring at your video clip!
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #10
TallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to beholdTallTacoma is a splendid one to behold

Army: FiSTers bring it fast and hard!
Name: Charles
TallTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdude View Post
Damn you BamaToy....another 5 mins lost staring at your video clip!
Damn, me too. Blonde hair, blue eyes, big boobs = lost time. What was the original topic again?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:47 AM   #11
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Regular maintenance is key. If you take care of things on a regular basis, you usually don't have a lot of trouble. I have done transmission flushes on customer's vehicles for years. I have seen it fix sticking shifts and lazy shifts several times. I have never seen it cause a problem. That is not to say that flushes have never caused a problem, but if done CORRECTLY they shouldn't.
What he said^^^ drain n fill, drain an fill, drain n fill, waste of money and time!

Think I seen a portion of a nipple BamaToy, oh yeah the right one!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:06 PM   #12
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Actually not a nip-slip, but a slip of the bra. And you are all welcome! Anything I can do to help waste your time makes me feel more productive!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #13
My fluid is a bit dark, I might run to the dealership and see what they recommend.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #14
ASE Master Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by 762NateOh View Post
My fluid is a bit dark, I might run to the dealership and see what they recommend.
Does it have a burnt, slightly acrid smell?
Old 06-29-2012, 01:10 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Does it have a burnt, slightly acrid smell?
I'll give it a sniff when I get home
Old 06-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #16
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I looked up my dealer on line found a service coupon for a flush $149 out the door.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
My recommendation is to put drain and refill, drive a week and drain and refill. repeat for 4 to six weeks and call it good enough.