Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

SAS TIME

Old 06-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #1
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
Name: ADRIEL
yotanation29's Tacoma Gallery
SAS TIME

im going to do a sas, and am in the search of a front axle, reccomendations? id like a used one with a locker, so what axles from what cars can i use? ill be using a tg kit, and with labor and the kit im already spending a lot so i need to know what to look for to save as much as possible
Old 06-27-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
If you can find an 1985 or older toyota solid front axle and rebuild it. It may be the cheapest way to go. Plus its one of the strongest axles toyota made.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
yotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the roughyotanation29 is a jewel in the rough

Navy:
will a 1990 4runner axle fit? those seem to be a lot easier to find
Old 06-27-2012, 09:55 PM   #4
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotanation29 View Post
will a 1990 4runner axle fit? those seem to be a lot easier to find
I thought that 1990 4runners were ifs? I could be wrong though...
Old 06-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #5
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
OP. Research research research research. draw up a plan. Scrap it. Research research research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
2nd gen 4runna = IFS IIRC
Old 06-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #6

Navy:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H Bomb View Post
thats what i was thinking. so my guess is hes already got one from a pu. i havent heard back from him so once i do it should work right?
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
dana 44...

sounds like you need to do more research.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats what i was thinking. so my guess is hes already got one from a pu. i havent heard back from him so once i do it should work right?
It's a SAS....It will NOT be a bolt in dealio...this process will require a fair amount of fab work, regardless of buying TG kits and a yota axle.....
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
dana 44...

sounds like you need to do more research.
I'd suggest a dana 44 as well, but dependent on what tires you're wanting to run.

OP - what gears and tire size are you wanting to do?

And I think he hasn't done as much research as well.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:09 PM   #10
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
It's a SAS....It will NOT be a bolt in dealio...this process will require a fair amount of fab work, regardless of buying TG kits and a yota axle.....
toyota axle is more work generally because you have to mess with the t case.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 PM   #11
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
toyota axle is more work generally because you have to mess with the t case.
I don't have much experience with doing an SAS on a yota or with yota axles. I like the danas a lot tho...eventually MIGHT swap my d30 out for a d44.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:13 PM   #12
braaap

Quote:
I don't have much experience with doing an SAS on a yota or with yota axles. I like the danas a lot tho...eventually MIGHT swap my d30 out for a d44.
The toyota axle is nice because it's narrow and strong, but if the OP is looking to rock crawl some width is nice so the D44 or 60 is nice.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #13
Lest We Forget
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The toyota axle is nice because it's narrow and strong, but if the OP is looking to rock crawl some width is nice so the D44 or 60 is nice.
D60 is over-doing it IMO unless running like 37-40+ on tires.

D44 with chromoly axle shafts will be plenty strong
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #14
braaap

Quote:
D60 is over-doing it IMO unless running like 37-40+ on tires.

D44 with chromoly axle shafts will be plenty strong
yup, and the 44 has more clearance when running smaller tires. I wouldn't go over 39's on the D44 though and that's with the cromoly.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #15
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

1985 and lower were SFA on the 4runners. Same as the pickups.

I always thought toyota axles were way easier to swap. Maybe thats for the pre-tacoma trucks.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
1985 and lower were SFA on the 4runners. Same as the pickups.

I always thought toyota axles were way easier to swap. Maybe thats for the pre-tacoma trucks.
yup. The pre taco's are generally a way easier and cheaper platform to start from for a SAS. I personally wouldn't bother with a tacoma but that's just me.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:20 PM   #17
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
yup. The pre taco's are generally a way easier and cheaper platform to start from for a SAS. I personally wouldn't bother with a tacoma but that's just me.
Same. Id rather swap a 3.4 into an older pickup or runner
Old 06-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #18
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr97tacoma View Post
Same. Id rather swap a 3.4 into an older pickup or runner
or a 350

jk the 3.4 is awesome, I'd do the same.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:29 PM   #19
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
From 1986 on, both 4runners and pickups had IFS front ends, not solid axles. If you're going all Toyota, you'll need the front axle housing (and guts) from a 79-85.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:13 AM   #20
alove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shedalove0750 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Adam
alove0750's Tacoma Gallery
If you do a full toyota swap there's a lot of odds and ends, but it's well worth it in my opinion. When I did mine I went ahead geared the case, went through the axle and what not. A 44 swap is a little easier since you don't have to swap the case or flip the axle, but there are still some odds and ends to be had.

Good luck with you swap and like mentioned already, do you home work, trash your first plan and start over