Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Solid Axle Swap

Old 01-02-2009, 04:05 PM   #1
Toynbyu is on a distinguished road

Toynbyu's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Toynbyu
Solid Axle Swap

I know there is a lot out there, but I was wondering if any of you guys have done the solid axle swap on your Tacoma. The shop that did most of the custom work on mine want $4800.00 to do the swap using top of the line equipment. Anybody done this?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
mcorbin is on a distinguished road
mcorbin's Tacoma Gallery
is that parts and labor? if just labor, they're insanely ripping you off.
Old 01-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
Redneck from the hills
cbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcbcs1987 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
cbcs1987's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry if I sound stupid, but whats the pros of a solid axle swap?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbcs1987 View Post
Sorry if I sound stupid, but whats the pros of a solid axle swap?
Primarily it's a benefit in rockcrawling. A lot more suspension travel with SAS than IFS. Suspension, axle, & steering components are less complicated (easier to fix).
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #6
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
Primarily it's a benefit in rockcrawling. A lot more suspension travel with SAS than IFS. Suspension, axle, & steering components are less complicated (easier to fix).
purdy much
Old 01-16-2009, 05:06 PM   #8
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
Not just rock crawling! There are some disadvantage to solid axle's, ride quality and road manners being one, ground clearance is less with a solid axle. They are much heavier then IFS and all that weight is unsprung. I would love to have a solid axle under my truck however!!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM   #9

Toynbyu's Tacoma Gallery
Sas

I guess I should have been more specific. The $4800 includes Labor, all the parts (top of the line stuff from Trail Gear & Marlin Crawler) as well as a ARB air locker. This is no ordinary machine shop. These guys specialize in SAS for Tacos; their work is very meticulous, they have me secluded for the first week in March, I could not get in any earlier. I Plan on taking lots of pictures and keeping notes on how it goes. The shop will have my truck for two weeks.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #10
sonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nicesonjay is just really nice

sonjay's Tacoma Gallery
What axle are they using? That seems like a pretty good price.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 PM   #11

Toynbyu's Tacoma Gallery
The guy who runs the shop really prefers to use Toyota axle, however he has used Dana 44 as well.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:20 AM   #13
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toynbyu View Post
The guy who runs the shop really prefers to use Toyota axle, however he has used Dana 44 as well.
Majority of the folks (atleast on TTORA) are using Grand Waggy axles.
86-91 Jeep Grand Wagoneer axles. Driver side drop and proper width.

I have one under my Jeep.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #14
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
x2....
Old 01-17-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery

X3

I have my questions about a swap for $4,800 that includes all the parts. But we'll see.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsumdc View Post

X3

I have my questions about a swap for $4,800 that includes all the parts. But we'll see.
x4

ill be able to SAC sooner if this is for realz
Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM   #17
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan00 View Post
x4

ill be able to SAC sooner if this is for realz
Im sure you could SAC for less. The first gens are very solid axel friendly.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:32 AM   #18
BECAUSE INTERNETS!!
tigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtigerfan00 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement: beat cop...putting bad people in jail
Name: Jeff
tigerfan00's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Im sure you could SAC for less. The first gens are very solid axel friendly.
if i owned a welder then sure...but i dont have a clue when it comes to welding...
Old 01-17-2009, 08:37 AM   #19
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Didn't Wyatt indicate that a 2nd Gen swap is easier than a 1st Gen swap in the build thread??
Old 01-17-2009, 08:39 AM   #20
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelmarvaTaco View Post
Didn't Wyatt indicate that a 2nd Gen swap is easier than a 1st Gen swap in the build thread??
Did he? I havent worked on swaping a second gen yet, So I guess I should retract my comment.

Products Discussed in this Thread