Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

HELP! Stutter/Jerk when stopping.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Colorado Sven is on a distinguished road
Name: Stephen
Colorado Sven's Tacoma Gallery
HELP! Stutter/Jerk when stopping.

I recently bought a 2003 Tacoma with 200,000 miles. I was told by the dealer (Not a Toyota dealer) that it had nothing wrong with it other than a few cosmetic issues.

However, I have noticed recently that right before coming to a full stop, there is a slight stutter/jerking feeling.

Not sure if that is just the way it is with Tacomas, or if something is going out. Could it be something in the transmission, a transfer case, the brakes, anything? Please help! I have no idea what it is, or how serious it could be.

Thanks!!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Is the warranty up? Even used cars usually have warranties for 30 days or so, I'd let their dime fix it.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #3
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
Tighten up the alignment cam bolts
Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 AM   #4
Hillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant futureHillingdoner has a brilliant future

Hillingdoner's Tacoma Gallery
Not sure from your description, but assume that you are not talking about and engine stumble, but rather the whole truck.

Perhaps a better description of what is going on will help, as many are glad to help diagnose. My first thought was warped rotors. As you are coming to a stop is the problem continuous? A warped rotor will cause the pads to grab and then be fine in an alternating pattern. Grab, grab, grab.... Sometimes with a glaze brake problem you can get a groan/vibration when coming to a stop.

Does it only happen when you are under a certain speed slowing down or more noticable when you are actually about to come to a stop?

What happens if you let off the brake while it is having the problem? Does it stop doing it?

Do you feel a pulse in the brake pedal?

Steering wheel vibrate or shake side to side?

Any pops, knocks or noises?

Have you been under to see if you have a blown CV?

Could be a lot of things. Let us know more and I'm sure posters on here will help you figure it out.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 AM   #5
Hoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of lightHoyle is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Commander & Chief
Hoyle's Tacoma Gallery
Is this what your refering too?

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...2668-jerk.html
Old 07-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
It does it when coming to a full stop and as the truck settles. It sometimes also does it when I am coming out of a stop, and take my foot off of the brake pedal. After some experimenting, I have found out that when coming to a stop, if I put it in neutral (it's an automatic) it does not have the jerking/stuttering.

Not sure if this is related, but sometimes there is a vibrating feeling coming from the brakes when stopping. (Could be the road)

Does this sound like something serious, or just something on a high miles truck.

If it is an axle wrap, is that something that should be fixed right away, or can it be lived with?

Hoyle: It seem very similar to that discussion.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #7
x2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shedx2468 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

x2468's Tacoma Gallery
Axle wrap only occurs on take off, not braking. As for the jerk/knock on decel, i've felt it too. I just flushed my transmission with this procedure http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html and i will see if it fixes it. Also just installed new brake discs, pads and lines, which may fix it as well.

I would grease my driveshaft if i were you. always a good thing to do, and i'm not sure if the slip yokes could play a factor when coming to a stop but maybe?

On a side not, i was read an issue of 4wd toyota owner, and they had a review of a land cruiser auto trans valve body modification/product, which they said cured a knock/clunk/jerk they had when coming to stop.... hmmm... have to find that article.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Ok, I have not tried anything yet, because I have been too busy :/

But I found this on another forum, and it pretty much describes my problem exactly.

"So I have had my Taco for almost 2 years now and love it, but the axle wrap drives me nuts. What I have is when I come to a hard stop at a red light, whenever i get green and release the brake I get a good thump thru the drivetrain. From what I found out on here is that is an axle wrap problem the taco's have. Will the dealer do anything or should I just get some sturdier leafs?"

http://www.yotatech.com/f2/tacoma-ax...e-visit-64698/

I am not sure if the thump is through the drivetrain or not.

Any new ideas?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
EDJY has a spectacular aura aboutEDJY has a spectacular aura about
Name: Elliott
EDJY's Tacoma Gallery
Its typical with these trucks. If you have a more progressive/ slow stop it wont happen. I have been told axel wrap and have been told it the trans shifting into 1st. Don't know what it is, just feather out the very last part of the braking right before you stop and it doesn't seem to happen.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by x2468 View Post
Axle wrap only occurs on take off, not braking. As for the jerk/knock on decel, i've felt it too. I just flushed my transmission with this procedure http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...nsmission.html and i will see if it fixes it. Also just installed new brake discs, pads and lines, which may fix it as well.

I would grease my driveshaft if i were you. always a good thing to do, and i'm not sure if the slip yokes could play a factor when coming to a stop but maybe?

On a side not, i was read an issue of 4wd toyota owner, and they had a review of a land cruiser auto trans valve body modification/product, which they said cured a knock/clunk/jerk they had when coming to stop.... hmmm... have to find that article.

Axle wrap actually occurs when coming to a stop. The axle "wraps" slightly or binds just as you are coming to a stop. Then you get the clunk feeling as you let off brake and accelerate and the axle "un-wraps" or releases.