1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Repair Scratch in Door Window

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by skeezix, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Jun 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM
    skeezix

skeezix [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I recently took my 1998 Tacoma into some PJ trees and unfortunately had to turn around because the road became too iffy. And more unfortunately, I had to drive past a Pinyon Pine tree and in so doing, a branch put a nice, shallow, 6-inch-long scratch in the passenger door window and also in the side window behind the passenger seat. How would one best go about removing those scratches without butching up the windows? each is about 1/16 inch wide and 6 inches long. Ultra fine (i.e. 2500 or higher) sand paper? Some kind of compound and if so, what kind/brand?

2. Jun 29, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    pippen

pippen that was'nt a vitamin!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Pippen
    Eastern NC
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner Ext.
    From what I've experienced trees usually left more like "marring" on my side panels, like part of the wood rubbed off onto the truck. I've not had cut or scratches in mine, though I cut some triple layered tinting off a old car I had and the razor blade left deep cuts in the glass which are not repairable really, I suppose you could try to fill the cuts with some sort of glass repair but if its not perfectly applied it wont look much better. I've had sand in my window felts before and its left scratches on the window so I' always wondered if some special sandpaper would help this....

Whats a PJ tree?

3. Jun 29, 2012 at 11:26 AM
    moelov

moelov Well-Known Member

Member:
    USA
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 Lifted
    Removed the Mud Flaps, Rock Deflectors and Head Rest. Limo Tint, I had 3" Toytec Lift, Procomp Nitrogen ES6000 shocks and Struts. AllPro UCA, AFE Pro Dry drop in filter, WeatherTecs. Now I have LR UCA's, Maxtrac Spindles, Eibach's, 5100's up front, Expos, 5160 for the rear, U Bolt Flip Kit, and Extended Brake lines.
    I also just got a scratch on my window. I have read to use some kind of polishing compound and a wool pad on a buffer.
    Let me know what worked.

4. Jun 29, 2012 at 11:41 AM
    twfsa

twfsa Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Omaha Ne
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 4X4
    881 Front coils, Bilstien 5100's all the way front set to "0" Icon Dynamic's mini leafs in rear, stock tires.
    Bad ass tree to scratch a glass window, Eastwood Co. used to sell a kit for removing scratches.

5. Jun 29, 2012 at 9:08 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    PJ is short for Pinyon-Juniper. Combination of shrubs and Juniper trees that one finds in the foothills of the western states where the deserts rise up into the mountains. >>bad-ass tree

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:38 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    I also boogered up my right side view mirror (chrome) along with the scratch/scrape in the passenger side window and the passenger side flip-out window. I had an epiphany and tried some TurtleWax Bug and Tar remover. That and a bit of rubbing completely removed the scratches and scrapes, so apparently they were just tree deposits. :) Good thing I resolved the problem before the wifey saw them...

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:40 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    Hey I really like how your truck looks - clean, sleek, and like it means business...

8. Sep 3, 2012 at 8:47 PM
    jdm.obp

jdm.obp Well-Known Member

Member:
    561, FL
    3" Pro Comp, 5% all around, Antenna X shorty, Debadged
    ever get those scratches out? A big ass branch gave me a nice 4" long scratch on my pass. window. Anybody know what method to use?

9. Sep 3, 2012 at 9:05 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
    I scratched a couple of widows on my canopy...took the truck to Glas-Weld Systems to get fixed. They did an awesome job!!
    http://www.glasweld.com/

10. Sep 5, 2012 at 5:13 PM
    skeezix

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    1998 Limited
    The gods were good to me.

The scratches turned out to be rub-off from the dead low-hanging branches. I was able to get them off without too much trouble. IIRC I used "Turtle Wax" bug and tar remover. Dabbed a little on, rubbed with a soft cloth and - no more scratches.

On the glass. Still have some that marred the clear-coat but one really has to look for them in just the right light and know they are there before they can be seen.

Products Discussed in

To Top