Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Repair Scratch in Door Window

Old 06-29-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
skeezix is on a distinguished road
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Repair Scratch in Door Window

I recently took my 1998 Tacoma into some PJ trees and unfortunately had to turn around because the road became too iffy. And more unfortunately, I had to drive past a Pinyon Pine tree and in so doing, a branch put a nice, shallow, 6-inch-long scratch in the passenger door window and also in the side window behind the passenger seat. How would one best go about removing those scratches without butching up the windows? each is about 1/16 inch wide and 6 inches long. Ultra fine (i.e. 2500 or higher) sand paper? Some kind of compound and if so, what kind/brand?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
From what I've experienced trees usually left more like "marring" on my side panels, like part of the wood rubbed off onto the truck. I've not had cut or scratches in mine, though I cut some triple layered tinting off a old car I had and the razor blade left deep cuts in the glass which are not repairable really, I suppose you could try to fill the cuts with some sort of glass repair but if its not perfectly applied it wont look much better. I've had sand in my window felts before and its left scratches on the window so I' always wondered if some special sandpaper would help this....

Whats a PJ tree?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
moelov is just really nicemoelov is just really nicemoelov is just really nicemoelov is just really nice

moelov's Tacoma Gallery
I also just got a scratch on my window. I have read to use some kind of polishing compound and a wool pad on a buffer.
Let me know what worked.
Old 06-29-2012, 11:41 AM   #4
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Bad ass tree to scratch a glass window, Eastwood Co. used to sell a kit for removing scratches.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
PJ is short for Pinyon-Juniper. Combination of shrubs and Juniper trees that one finds in the foothills of the western states where the deserts rise up into the mountains. >>bad-ass tree
Old 07-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moelov View Post
I also just got a scratch on my window. I have read to use some kind of polishing compound and a wool pad on a buffer.
Let me know what worked.
I also boogered up my right side view mirror (chrome) along with the scratch/scrape in the passenger side window and the passenger side flip-out window. I had an epiphany and tried some TurtleWax Bug and Tar remover. That and a bit of rubbing completely removed the scratches and scrapes, so apparently they were just tree deposits. Good thing I resolved the problem before the wifey saw them...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
Bad ass tree to scratch a glass window, Eastwood Co. used to sell a kit for removing scratches.
Hey I really like how your truck looks - clean, sleek, and like it means business...
Old 09-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #8
jdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of lightjdm.obp is a glorious beacon of light
jdm.obp's Tacoma Gallery
ever get those scratches out? A big ass branch gave me a nice 4" long scratch on my pass. window. Anybody know what method to use?
Old 09-05-2012, 05:13 PM   #10
skeezix's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm.obp View Post
ever get those scratches out? A big ass branch gave me a nice 4" long scratch on my pass. window. Anybody know what method to use?
The gods were good to me.

The scratches turned out to be rub-off from the dead low-hanging branches. I was able to get them off without too much trouble. IIRC I used "Turtle Wax" bug and tar remover. Dabbed a little on, rubbed with a soft cloth and - no more scratches.

On the glass. Still have some that marred the clear-coat but one really has to look for them in just the right light and know they are there before they can be seen.