Notices

Firestick antenna won't stay screwed in

Old 06-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #1
BrotherBudro is on a distinguished road
Name: David
BrotherBudro's Tacoma Gallery
Firestick antenna won't stay screwed in

Hey guys,

This really isn't a question super related to a 1st gen taco, but that's what I drive so here goes...

I have my firestick cb antenna mounted in the back where the tailgate latch is. I also have a heavy duty firestick spring so that the antenna doesn't break off. But I have noticed after driving (even fairly short distances) the antenna becomes unscrewed from the spring. It hasn't fallen off (yet) but I fell like that is a real danger. Do you guys have any ideas how to fix this?

I feel like there has gotta be something for this, like loctite or something.

Thanks for your help
Old 06-29-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Maybe a nylock bolt will do it.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
I google'd nylock bolt but i don't see how that would fit into my situation
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Just think outside the Yota
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
CayucosTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Lock washer?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:47 PM   #5
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I'm not sure how it mounts so I just took a shot on the dark.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I was gonna say loctite, or even maybe some teflon tape to make it tighter. And like whippersnapper02 said if theres a nut you could try a nylon type one.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Heather
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
I tightened mine down with a wrench... Seems to work for me.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:53 PM   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
Lock washer?
Would that work though? Because the antenna is the male end, and the spring is the female.

But I like that idea
Old 06-29-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Old 06-29-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
CayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedCayucosTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherBudro View Post
Would that work though? Because the antenna is the male end, and the spring is the female.

But I like that idea

I don't see why it wouldnt. Just get a big enough washer to fit around the male and tighten it a lot
Old 06-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #11
Only thing i'm worried about with loctite is what do i use to get it off, if for some reason I needed to take the antenna off (car washes etc.)
Old 06-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #12
H Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shedH Bomb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Only thing i'm worried about with loctite is what do i use to get it off, if for some reason I needed to take the antenna off (car washes etc.)
Get a quick disconnect. Then you can permanently screw the antenna into the quick disconnect. It will be removable that way.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #13
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Locktite is removable. It's designed that way. Though the locktite I posted is designed for permanent use. Just get Blue locktite.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 AM   #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by CayucosTacoma View Post
I don't see why it wouldnt. Just get a big enough washer to fit around the male and tighten it a lot
I'm an idiot, i don't know what i was thinking. That will work. I'm heading off to lowes today to pickup some lockwashers and maybe some loctite.

Thanks everybody
Old 06-30-2012, 08:23 AM   #15

Let us know how it works out
Old 06-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #16
Ridgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedRidgerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Frank
Ridgerunner's Tacoma Gallery
locktite on an antenna? no. it will block the electrical connection between the base and antenna.
Just torque it down over a lockwasher then 4-5 tight turns of electrical tape (preferably super-88) over the seam.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #17
H Bomb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
locktite on an antenna? no. it will block the electrical connection between the base and antenna.
Just torque it down over a lockwasher then 4-5 tight turns of electrical tape (preferably super-88) over the seam.
Do this. And, if you want to be able to easily remove it from your truck, put it on a firestik quick disconnect. I remove mine every time I park in my garage and it works perfectly.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:59 AM   #18

Also consider the fold over mount from fire stick
Old 07-01-2012, 10:44 AM   #19
So i got 2 lockwashers, one on either side of the spring, got out the ole wrench. and 150 miles later, still tight as ever. Thanks for your help guys
Old 07-01-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So i got 2 lockwashers, one on either side of the spring, got out the ole wrench. and 150 miles later, still tight as ever. Thanks for your help guys
Was gonna say, there should be one on each end of the mount for it.