LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

97 overheating issue

Old 06-30-2012, 09:53 AM   #1
67duster is on a distinguished road
67duster's Tacoma Gallery
97 overheating issue

97 Tacoma, 200,000 miles. Replaced the radiator, thermostat, fan clutch, and still running hot. Iv'e even removed the thermostat for the moment. Not leaking water anywhere.

What else is can I do?
Old 06-30-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
how about the hoses? if they are old or soft, they can collapse when they get warm and coolant is flowing in them.

off chance, did you flush the entire cooling system? if the coolant system had been neglected, there is a chance that a build up of crud could be clogging the engine.

man, I did mine this spring after getting my truck, and I was prepared to get a new rad. but first I spent 3 days flushing the system, 2 times with prestone, and i think 12-14 gal. of distilled water, till it was nice and clean, and I was sure the rad. did not leak. also new hoses and therm.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bad water pump? Just tossing that out there...
Old 06-30-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67duster View Post
97 Tacoma, 200,000 miles. Replaced the radiator, thermostat, fan clutch, and still running hot. Iv'e even removed the thermostat for the moment. Not leaking water anywhere.

What else is can I do?
Check your engine oil level?
Old 06-30-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
take pics of the truck and engine bay
for us
Old 06-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #6
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
overheat when driving or idle or both
Old 06-30-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
TMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the roughTMW is a jewel in the rough
Name: Tom
TMW's Tacoma Gallery
Are you sure it is running hot? Maybe the temp sending unit is bad or the guage. Does it read anything on a cold engine? Does it read high soon after starting. If it reads high after normal warm up you probably have a clog in the engine and it needs flushing like it was said above.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Havent tried engine flush, or replace hoses. will do next.

Isn't a water pump designed to leak in case of failure.

Oil level is good. It overheats both when idling or driving, but erratic on both cases.

Thanks all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
how about the hoses? if they are old or soft, they can collapse when they get warm and coolant is flowing in them.

off chance, did you flush the entire cooling system? if the coolant system had been neglected, there is a chance that a build up of crud could be clogging the engine.

man, I did mine this spring after getting my truck, and I was prepared to get a new rad. but first I spent 3 days flushing the system, 2 times with prestone, and i think 12-14 gal. of distilled water, till it was nice and clean, and I was sure the rad. did not leak. also new hoses and therm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aptech View Post
overheat when driving or idle or both
Old 06-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #9
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Did the radiator come with a new radiator cap? The caps go bad sometimes and cause that
Old 06-30-2012, 05:01 PM   #10
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Oil level is good. It overheats both when idling or driving, but erratic on both cases.

Thanks all.
water pump should not be leaking at all
Old 07-01-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thanks all.
did you let the rad burp after you installed the coolant. re check coolant level and see if you need to add more to the rad.

the water pump leaks at the holes when the bearing goes out. you could still have the blades worn out of the impeller of the pump.

when your running the motor and you have the rad cap off do you see bubbles? do you see flow

oil did it look milky or chocolate like.

do a compression check of your cylinders.

also does your exhaust from the tail pipe smell sweet

erratic sounds like the system is blocked, has air,or the pump isnt flowing. also your fan clutch could be worn

also toys have sensor that look at the temp in the system. put a new recommended thermostat back in. so the engine will run properly.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
tan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtan4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rick
tan4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Pop the grill off, an check for blockage of the AC condenser. Could be so full of bugs that not enough air is getting through to the radiator.
Old 08-21-2012, 11:55 PM   #13
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Ever find a solution to this? My friends 97 V6 is having an overheating issue as well. Only happens at red lights or at idle. Not while moving. Coolant level is good according to her. I haven't taken a look at it yet. Any thing I should look at that would be obvious? It has 283,000 miles on it and according to her, she has not replaced the water pump since she got it 2 years ago.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
Yep
buzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbuzzard1992 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Alex
buzzard1992's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffirg View Post
Ever find a solution to this? My friends 97 V6 is having an overheating issue as well. Only happens at red lights or at idle. Not while moving. Coolant level is good according to her. I haven't taken a look at it yet. Any thing I should look at that would be obvious? It has 283,000 miles on it and according to her, she has not replaced the water pump since she got it 2 years ago.
Change the radiator cap first
Old 08-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #15
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

What else is can I do?
Quote:

Thanks all.
The water pump, contrary to popular belief, creates flow, but not pressure. The "pressure" in the system is due to increased temperature of a fluid causing expansion of said fluid. If the water pump has failed due to bad impeller or other failure, it will not supply efficient flow, hence engine will overheat. Also, as mentioned, check for proper airflow through the condensor and radiator, as poor airflow could cause this. A good point to would be to confirm the engine is overheating, and not a bad sensor. When you say it is overheating, does the gauge go far into the red and the radiator cap start allowing overflow into the coolant jug, or is the sensor just reading higher than you think it should?

Quote:
Overheating at idle or at a stop is typical of a failing/weak water pump not able to provide sufficient flow at idle to properly cool the engine. That being said, an engine will normally run at a slightly higher temp at idle than at speed. Does it actually overheat, or does the temp gauge on his truck just read higher than when driving?
Old 08-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #16
ffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shedffirg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: mike
ffirg's Tacoma Gallery
Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly what it's doing. Like I said, I have not had a chance to go check it out yet. I'll see if I can run over and look to see what it's really doing and report back. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
remember whatever you do for christ sake, do not over heat these motors!
one little thing can help, AND THIS IS NOT A CURE ALL, is to throw the heat on in the truck if the truck starts to run warm, till you get to a garage or home, but if in doubt, stop, and turn the motor off,
a tow is alot cheaper than a new motor.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #18
hossmaster will become famous soon enough
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Hmmm, I'm not sure exactly what it's doing. Like I said, I have not had a chance to go check it out yet. I'll see if I can run over and look to see what it's really doing and report back. Thanks for the info.
does your fan have any resistance when you spin it by hand? If it spins really easy, the fan clutch may be done and not locking up when it needs to.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:30 AM   #19
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
remember whatever you do for christ sake, do not over heat these motors!
one little thing can help, AND THIS IS NOT A CURE ALL, is to throw the heat on in the truck if the truck starts to run warm, till you get to a garage or home, but if in doubt, stop, and turn the motor off,
a tow is alot cheaper than a new motor.
Positive rep giving. a VERY good point that I forgot over the years. this will help as it will act like a tiny radiator to try and reduce overtemping!
Old 08-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #20
I replaced just about everything, hoses, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, radiator, radiator cap. One problem I encounterd was refilling the system; it was difficult to get the air out, so it kept overheating, and I kept replacing shit till I figured it out, wich was about the time I replaced everything.