Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

3in lift rides like crap! Whats the deal

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Jaren1512 is on a distinguished road
Name: Jaren
Jaren1512's Tacoma Gallery
3in lift rides like crap! Whats the deal

So I keep hearing this talk about "vibes". Im not really sure what exactly that means. With the lift I have right now i feel damn near every bump in the road. sometimes it feels like my truck jumps 6 inches left or right every time i hit a tiny bump. is this something the diff drop would fix? how can i improve the ride quality?

Now I know i have a spacer lift. (I have realized now why everyone hates on them) I know I need to get a new setup but its not an option at the moment. I just need to make this setup work as good as it can until I can afford to upgrade.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers are going to ride that crap, just like you described. That's about all there is to it.

The vibes people talk about are usually a shudder right after take off, or a buzzing feel at a certain speed.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
so im pretty much stuck with this thing hopping around on me until i go full suspension?
Old 06-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150 View Post
Top plate spacers right?
The spacers sit on top of the coil if thats what your asking...
Old 06-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #5
sees what you did there.
KPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shedKPT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KPT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren1512 View Post
The spacers sit on top of the coil if thats what your asking...
So they are not compressed in the coilover assembly, correct? As in, you did or did not need a spring compressor to put them on.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPT View Post
So they are not compressed in the coilover assembly, correct? As in, you did or did not need a spring compressor to put them on.
No they are compressed in. We didnt need a spring compressor tho, my buddy figured out a backdoor method of getting them on without compressing the spring.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
THIS is why we don't recommend spacer lifts...this and the fact that if you hit a bump just right they'll snap your struts.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Spacers--when no other suspension parts are used in conjunction--will necessarily stiffen your ride because they limit the overall and designed travel of the shock... this is the sudden rebounding you are feeling if you hit a bump, and yes, it can often feel like your front end is hopping around fairly abruptly.

Hope you can upgrade soon because your stuck unless you go back to your stock config.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:21 PM   #10
rab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrab89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
rab89's Tacoma Gallery
should have gotten above coil spacers.

there's no fixing the set up you have.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #11
would the 32" tires I have work if I were to remove the spacers and everything?
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
"the soulless ginger"
PAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shedPAlittlematty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
PAlittlematty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDell View Post
wut tire pressure you running ?
Adjust this
Old 06-30-2012, 03:34 PM   #14
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaren1512 View Post
No they are compressed in. We didnt need a spring compressor tho, my buddy figured out a backdoor method of getting them on without compressing the spring.
Front spacers that go under the coil plate (compressing the coil further) will always make the ride a lot worse. You are compressing the coil making it stiffer without doing anything to gain up travel or down travel.

If you are strapped for cash, get rid of those spacers and look for some top spacers for cheap used (I have some I can sell for cheap), and use those. Top spacers go above the whole shock assembly and dont affect the preload of the coil, so the ride wont be affected.
Old 06-30-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
If you do have 32s you can take the lift off and just run 32s with no lift
Old 06-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #16
You're no good to me dead
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
lose the spacer and get some 5100's
Old 06-30-2012, 04:06 PM   #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
Front spacers that go under the coil plate (compressing the coil further) will always make the ride a lot worse. You are compressing the coil making it stiffer without doing anything to gain up travel or down travel.

If you are strapped for cash, get rid of those spacers and look for some top spacers for cheap used (I have some I can sell for cheap), and use those. Top spacers go above the whole shock assembly and dont affect the preload of the coil, so the ride wont be affected.

how much you thinking?