Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Transmission question

Old 06-30-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
slickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really nice

Name: David
slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
Transmission question

I have searched and I cant find anything that sounds like what is happening to mine. I'll be driving down the road and it will sort of feel like the engine revs without the truck speeding up. And sometimes leaving from a stop it revs and slowly rolls or does nothing. It doesnt lasy long when it revs maybe a second or two just enough to notice it. My truck is a 2003 prerunner v6 auto with about 175,xxx on it. I dont really know that much about transmissions so I need some help as to what it might be and how much it might cost to fix.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:15 PM   #2
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickyd View Post
I have searched and I cant find anything that sounds like what is happening to mine. I'll be driving down the road and it will sort of feel like the engine revs without the truck speeding up. And sometimes leaving from a stop it revs and slowly rolls or does nothing. It doesnt lasy long when it revs maybe a second or two just enough to notice it. My truck is a 2003 prerunner v6 auto with about 175,xxx on it. I dont really know that much about transmissions so I need some help as to what it might be and how much it might cost to fix.
Sounds like to me the clutch plates are slipping... Usually never a good thing. I'm not sure if transmission additive for worn clutch plates will help, but I'd continue to drive it till it dies.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: electronics tech
Name: Kevin
newertoy's Tacoma Gallery
Check the FLUID-!!!!!!!!!!
From my experience--never put in an additive. Have it the fluid changed if it is at the correct level.
If it smells "burnt" -you may have a problem--if its red it should not be too bad.
Burnt automatic tranny fluid is BROWNISH.
First--check the level.
If its MILKY--water has gotten in. change it.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
newertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shednewertoy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Is there a "throttle position sensor". If so, reset it.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:30 PM   #5

here are two links http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M...d/atsy/pst.pdf
http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M.../atsy/trou.pdf
Old 06-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #6

did not see a position sensor in the manual---FLUID LEVEL--FIRST.
Old 06-30-2012, 01:38 PM   #7
slickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really niceslickyd is just really nice

slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
Ok looks like im going to need to change the fluid. Its right below the low notch and I think its starting to turn brown. Im a little color blind so its hard to tell. Anything else I should know?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #8

slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
I tried the links but its saying it can't be found
Old 06-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #9

http://ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repair_M.../atsy/trou.pdf
Here is the link for all trucks--find yours
I use the online version.
If the fliud is LOW--that could have the symptoms you are discribing. With 175K miles--IT IS TIME TO CHANGE IT.
Old 06-30-2012, 02:10 PM   #10

If it was my truck--change the fluid or have someone do it for you.
You can see if the sympoms go away if you get the fluid to the proper level.
I am not familiar toyota w/auto trannys. Other trucks have "adjustments" and "filters" that need to be changed periodically.
Ever changed the fluid?-175K miles--past due!
Keep me posted--
Old 06-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #11

slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
Im going to try and change the fluid tomorrow if the heat isnt to bad. Thank you for your help.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #12
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Did you check your fluid when your truck was running?
Old 07-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #13

slickyd's Tacoma Gallery
Yes I did check it with it running