Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Window Tint help and suggestions!

Old 06-30-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Bfully24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brent
Bfully24's Tacoma Gallery
Window Tint help and suggestions!

hey guys I'm new to the board but I'm looking at getting my front windshield tinted i already have the back 2 stock and the driver and passenger both at 20% .. i was wondering what percentage you guys would suggest 35% or 50% or is it even possible to get in between? I had thought 35 but my headlights are not very good i have blue luminics and their not very good for vision... and yes I KNOW ITS ILLEGAL. thanks for the help!
Old 06-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
EdwardHBLW is on a distinguished road
EdwardHBLW's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't go darker than 50% on the windshield... The quality of the stuff out now, it'll be pretty effective at protecting your interior from UV and blocking some heat. I do know that there's also stuff with ceramic in it as well, though a bit more costly than traditional tint.
Old 06-30-2012, 04:56 PM   #3
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
If you have some bright headlights id do 35...but if your stock then 50...all my friends have 55w hids so their good
Old 06-30-2012, 05:30 PM   #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardHBLW View Post
I wouldn't go darker than 50% on the windshield... The quality of the stuff out now, it'll be pretty effective at protecting your interior from UV and blocking some heat. I do know that there's also stuff with ceramic in it as well, though a bit more costly than traditional tint.
do you know about the visibility from the outside looking in that was also something I'm wanting to know because the sun coming from the front allows a bunch in brightening the inside so I'm hoping to prevent that while also not allowing people to see me well from the outside
Old 06-30-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfully24 View Post
do you know about the visibility from the outside looking in that was also something I'm wanting to know because the sun coming from the front allows a bunch in brightening the inside so I'm hoping to prevent that while also not allowing people to see me well from the outside
I have 5% all around, and no tint on my windshield yet. I've had friends tell me that they can't see a damn thing inside the truck head on. If you're looking to cut down on light coming in, then 35% is your best bet, but personally I'd stick with 50%. Most tint now a days is some form of metalized film. It'll cast a slight glare looking in if the sun's shining on it, which should help block you from prying eyes.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:04 PM   #6
Quote:
Quote:
I have 5% all around, and no tint on my windshield yet. I've had friends tell me that they can't see a damn thing inside the truck head on. If you're looking to cut down on light coming in, then 35% is your best bet, but personally I'd stick with 50%. Most tint now a days is some form of metalized film. It'll cast a slight glare looking in if the sun's shining on it, which should help block you from prying eyes.
thanks i appreciate it .... what do you think about a 40 or 45?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Llumar makes an Air 80 that is almost like looking through a pair of light sunglasses. I wouldent do much darker. Also here in cali its a huge no no for tint on the windshield but I've seen some with the air 80 that looks sweet. And it will darken it up a lot.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Mxer256 is on a distinguished road

Name: Tyler
Mxer256's Tacoma Gallery
or you could do what one kid at my school does and get -7 all around and 15 on whole front with 5 on the top half of windshield!
Old 06-30-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
IGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shedIGO4LOW is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: EMT-B
Name: Zach
IGO4LOW's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Imo 35% on the windshield is way way too dark. Only 35% of the natural light will be let in. Cause for an accident id you ask me.
Not to mention Idk if any shop will do that for you.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
Imo 35% on the windshield is way way too dark. Only 35% of the natural light will be let in. Cause for an accident id you ask me.
I understand ya ... I just don't want to go and get something done and not be able to tell a difference on the inside and out you know?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
TacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoTitan11 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. C
TacoTitan11's Tacoma Gallery
there is a clear window tint out now made from SunTek that blocks UV rays and heat, FYI......its designed for windshields
Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGO4LOW View Post
I agree, which is why in my initial reply I told him I wouldn't go darker than 50%. Many shops will if you ask around and are willing to pay cash... at least down here in Fl.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:46 PM   #13
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Are you tinting the WHOLE front windshield? Or just the top 5 inches?
Old 06-30-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
n0ms is on a distinguished road
Name: Angel
n0ms's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
I was thinking about doing a couple inches on the top. Anyone have any idea what tint percent would not attract cops here in California?
*thread jack*
Old 06-30-2012, 07:22 PM   #15
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
I got away with top 5 inches @ 5% here in NC, found this hope its accurate http://www.tintlaws.com

As for tinting the whole windshield, it could cause you to be liable in a accident if they found out.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:23 PM   #16
Quote:
I'm doing the whole windshield i just want something that keeps light out but is still visible driving at night so i was thinking between 35-50 range
Old 06-30-2012, 07:33 PM   #17
MontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to beholdMontanaTaco is a splendid one to behold

Name: Colter
MontanaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfully24 View Post
I'm doing the whole windshield i just want something that keeps light out but is still visible driving at night so i was thinking between 35-50 range
I would highly recommend you not do the whole windshield. I would do the 5 inch strip which will greatly affect how much light comes in. A buddy of mine has 20 all around with the 5 inch 5% eyelid up front and damn it is dark, I cant imagine seeing at night.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:47 PM   #18
that was'nt a vitamin!!

pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Yea I would not tint the whole entire windshield, when driving at night the light inside your truck will lower the visibility, try looking out tinted windows with light on the inside. Its just asking for touble with the law and stuff. I can understand where your comming from though, I've seen truck drivers with top and bottom of windshield tinted to help from glare from hood and road during daytime. My friends Land Rover has a odd looking half-oval of matte black paint on his hood, I asked what it was for he said to reduce glare from sun at day and at night from other cars headlights, I thought that was pretty neato
Old 06-30-2012, 10:02 PM   #19
Quote:
Yea I would not tint the whole entire windshield, when driving at night the light inside your truck will lower the visibility, try looking out tinted windows with light on the inside. Its just asking for touble with the law and stuff. I can understand where your comming from though, I've seen truck drivers with top and bottom of windshield tinted to help from glare from hood and road during daytime. My friends Land Rover has a odd looking half-oval of matte black paint on his hood, I asked what it was for he said to reduce glare from sun at day and at night from other cars headlights, I thought that was pretty neato
i think I'm goin with the 40% tint its in between and looks good not too dark thanks for the help guys
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #20
HI TACO 66 is on a distinguished road
HI TACO 66's Tacoma Gallery
post pics after with the tint, i was planning on going either with 70 or 50