Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Lost tire going 70 down highway

Old 06-30-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
houndsmen is on a distinguished road
houndsmen's Tacoma Gallery
Lost tire going 70 down highway

So I was on my way fishing when my lower ball joint broke goin 70 mph down the highway. That caused my upper ball joint to break and send my axle flying!!! The tire somehow ended up underneath the rocker panel just being held by the tie rod. I skidded about 200 ft before coming to a stop. How it didn't roll I have no clue??? I know I'm gonna need all those parts but do you guys think anything else could have bent??? Upper control arm?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit!
Old 06-30-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
"Old Timer," compliments of 11Taco2.7
rleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shedrleeharris is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Master Sergeant, Training Superintendent, 67th Network Warfare Wing
Name: Bob
rleeharris's Tacoma Gallery
I have to ask, what model/year truck, was it lifted, etc?
Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #5
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Oh, Man.
Old 06-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #6
aportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of lightaportis72 is a glorious beacon of light
EMS:
Name: Austin
aportis72's Tacoma Gallery
Been there done that. Try having your tire and axle rod go flying past you and into on coming traffic at 70mph . I have pictures to prove it.

This was in a 99 ford ranger.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
It's a 2001 with a toytec lift. I will post pics once I get to my computer I'm not sure how to do it on my iPhone.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Dam! Did you roll it? What else did u break on it
Old 06-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #9
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Wow.. Makes me want to hustle to get my lower ball joint fixed
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #10
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
I have a '04 with the Toytec and my right side is popping... Lift has been on for 3 months and just for fun I checked and don't qualify for the recall. It seems you're ok, lucky you.
Old 06-30-2012, 08:52 PM   #11
Can you skin Grizz, pilgram?
tacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomakid96 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Phil
tacomakid96's Tacoma Gallery
Check your cv adam
Old 06-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomakid96 View Post
Check your cv adam
Will do, thanks. I looked at the lower's and seemed like grease had been oozing out.
Old 06-30-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Ah, 1st gen, where the lower ball joint is inverted by design.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #14
So I had just replaced my axles ball joints etc the whole front end. And I'm the type of guy who checks to make sure everything is tight every oil change which is 5k. I noticed my truck had a squeak n popping noise n I couldn't figure it out. Well I guess I know what it was now lol I hope the insurance will cover it I have full coverage.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:51 AM   #15
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Find out if your truck was a part of the ball joint recall. Visit a dealer and bring your VIN#.

edit...just read your last post^^^

What brand BJ's did you go with?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:19 AM   #16
I bought them at autozone. Not the best place to probably buy them but I change them out once a year due to the fact that I'm always hunting.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #17
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
cheap chinese parts are probably to blame.

I would do the rebuild with MOOG parts. They are made in USA and Japan. Quality stuff.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #18
Rozz is just really niceRozz is just really niceRozz is just really niceRozz is just really nice
Rozz's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI, I replaced my lower ball joints about 1.5 months ago (Moog), and am now replacing the lower right again, so you never know.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:14 PM   #19
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Happened on my 98,, about a year ago. Luckily I was going about 7 MPH in a parking lot. Still scared the shit out of me when my truck slammed into the asphalt and kept sliding. The parking lot had just been resurfaced, and I messed it up. Glad you are ok man.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:25 PM   #20
Wink

Yea talk about scared!!! I had to run behind a tree after it stopped sliding! Lol I know its pretty bad cuz it looks bent. Hope they total it maybe I can strait axle it!