Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removing throttle body now - need help

Old 07-01-2012, 10:03 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Removing throttle body now - need help

I can't the two hoses on the bottom backside off. I moved those metal hose clips back, but for the life of me I can't get the facking hoses to budge off of the necks they're on.

They're the only things keep the TB on at this point. I'm afraid to get a flat head in there to pry them off (in fear of tearing the rubber hose(s) )

Any help is much appreciated as soon as possible.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I'm pointing to the two facking stubborn things

Old 07-01-2012, 10:28 AM   #3

nvm

hoses off, TB out
Old 07-03-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
Bamahoyt is on a distinguished road

Name: Ted
Bamahoyt's Tacoma Gallery
Did you find A write up for cleaning your TB? If so could you post the link? Glad you got it off. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago on a sensor and the sensor actually broke when pulling on the hoses.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
your TW web developer!
rondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shedrondog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ronnie
rondog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
Did you find A write up for cleaning your TB? If so could you post the link? Glad you got it off. I had the same problem a couple weeks ago on a sensor and the sensor actually broke when pulling on the hoses.
just use throttle body cleaner and a rag

Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamahoyt View Post
I primarily used this one:

http://www.top4runners.com/ja/cleantb.html

But had to call some audibles at the line of scrimmage once I was under there. Once you get into it, you'll see what you have to do.

Off the top of my head I removed the bracket holding the cruise control and throttle cables... made life much easier and it was two 10mm bolts.

edit, two more things: 1. Before you start undo the negative cable off your battery and remove the EFI relay in the fuse box in the engine bay, and 2. if you're going to tighten the throttle cable it is two 12mm nuts (not 14mm as written in that link). At least that's what it was on my truck

Also, being a knob, I marked everything will tape so 1. I would know where it all goes back together and 2. would remember to put everything back together, eg hoses on necks, etc...

Very simple and straight forward.

The other thing I read on here is not to let all the crap from your throttle body drain into that hole that feeds your IAC valve/sensor. So when cleaning the throttle body, I always made sure that hole was at the top.

Here are before and after pics of my throttle body. I didn't spend a crazy amount of time on it because my OCD would have had me sitting there for 6 hours cleaning it

Front of TB before:

Front of TB after:

Back of TB before:

Back of TB after:
Old 07-03-2012, 04:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Looks good. Don't forget to clean your MAF sensor while you're in there.
Yup did it at the time.

On Sunday I:

Cleaned the MAF
Cleaned the TB
Changed spark plugs
Changed spark plug wires
Tightened throttle body cable.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 PM   #9
You can't fight in here! This is the War Room!
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Yup did it at the time.

On Sunday I:

Cleaned the MAF
Cleaned the TB
Changed spark plugs
Changed spark plug wires
Tightened throttle body cable.
You, sir, have now indeed earned the title Captain Awesome.

I told you it was easy.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
Just like Dick to call some thing easy.
Jesus facking kryst. Just like Krazie to make something easy hard.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
You, sir, have now indeed earned the title Captain Awesome.

I told you it was easy.
Yeah, I took my time with everything and all said and done it took me 3 hours.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #13
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I thought it was soft, not easy.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Just so long as he's not making Dick hard, we're all good
Old 07-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
That's at least 30 hp bro!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #16

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
I am not going to say anything about anatomy. I can see this is a tarp, and I'm not falling for it.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:21 PM   #17

Quote:
I am not going to say anything about anatomy. I can see this is a tarp, and I'm not falling for it.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirginiaBound View Post
That's at least 30 hp bro!
Bish please. I got the blue NGK spark plug wires...

...I'm looking at at least 45 HP. The blue color makes more HP
Old 07-03-2012, 04:22 PM   #19
Gone But Not Forgotten
ImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shedImpulseRed008 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Susan
ImpulseRed008's Tacoma Gallery
Just don't ask Krazie to change your oil.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #20
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
glad you got it done.

what do ya'll think about this? saw this, don't need it, have lots of other things needs done worse...
http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/pts/3113448039.html