Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Removed MAF, put back together, now there's a gap

Old 07-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Removed MAF, put back together, now there's a gap

Took everything apart to clean the MAF, throttle body, change spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Put everything back together, I mean there's only one way for it to go back together... and I noticed a tiny gap between the air box and the MAF sensor. 1/16th of an inch at most. Is this going to be a problem? Obviously the MAF sits inside the rear port of the air box far more than a 1/16th of an inch. Just wondering still if this may be a problem. See pics below.

First pic is the gap.
Second pic is me slightly pushing it together removing that gap. When I let go the gap appears again.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #3
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOMABOSS View Post
Mine has that. shouldnt be a problem
Thanks Boss
Old 07-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #4
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Total engine failure. Maybe throw a big ziptie around it while pressing in so it seals a lil better? Or a giant hose clamp.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolcomTacoma2011 View Post
Total engine failure.
Please don't fuck with me

Quote:
Maybe throw a big ziptie around it while pressing in so it seals a lil better? Or a giant hose clamp.
Was thinking zip tie(s). Once I brave going back out in the inferno, I'll throw one on.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #6
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Total engine failure. Maybe throw a big ziptie around it while pressing in so it seals a lil better? Or a giant hose clamp.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #7
that was'nt a vitamin!!
pippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shedpippen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Pippen
pippen's Tacoma Gallery
Does the air leak out of the gap?
Old 07-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pippen View Post
Does the air leak out of the gap?
Dunno.

Guess I'll go put a wad of spit on it while it's running

Old 07-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
VolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shedVolcomTacoma2011 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Machinist Mate Third Class (Veteran 2011)
VolcomTacoma2011's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trmarshall1 View Post
Partial trolling...partial honest response...obviously that isn't going to cause an entire engine to sieze, but i would definitely throw something around that to try to get it to line up better with no gap.
Old 07-01-2012, 02:49 PM   #10
The Least Interesting Man In The World
trmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrmarshall1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Marines: Lance Corporal, H&HS, Provost Marshal's Office, Military Police
Name: Tim
trmarshall1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Partial trolling...partial honest response...obviously that isn't going to cause an entire engine to sieze, but i would definitely throw something around that to try to get it to line up better with no gap.
Agreed, just the catastrophic engine failure seemed a bit much
Old 07-01-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

Piggy backing this thread... and speaking of engine failure:

The spark plug boots on the driver's side seem very rudimentary in the way they sit on the valve cover. I mean all I did was put a little bead of dielectric grease on the underneath/bottom of the boot and push the spark plug boot as far as it would go down onto the plug. The flange of the boot is literally just sitting on top of the valve cover.

Is this enough to make it water tight? Before I put everything back together I made sure I pushed everything into place as best I could.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:13 AM   #12
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I'de loosen every clamp on the intake hoses that I messed with, finesse the hoses and see if the gap does closes. My guess is the hoses are kinked.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:20 AM   #13
ASE Master Tech
BamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBamaToy1997 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: M1A2 hull/turret technician, 4th Maint Btn. 4th FSSG.
Name: Bill
BamaToy1997's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Piggy backing this thread... and speaking of engine failure:

The spark plug boots on the driver's side seem very rudimentary in the way they sit on the valve cover. I mean all I did was put a little bead of dielectric grease on the underneath/bottom of the boot and push the spark plug boot as far as it would go down onto the plug. The flange of the boot is literally just sitting on top of the valve cover.

Is this enough to make it water tight? Before I put everything back together I made sure I pushed everything into place as best I could.
Common situation on the Toyota style spark plug boot. What I do on all the Toyotas I work on is slightly pull the wire through the boot, as if I were disconnecting the wire out of the valve cover. This pushes the boot down closer to the spark plug, allowing you to get a better seal against the valve cover.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaToy1997 View Post
Common situation on the Toyota style spark plug boot. What I do on all the Toyotas I work on is slightly pull the wire through the boot, as if I were disconnecting the wire out of the valve cover. This pushes the boot down closer to the spark plug, allowing you to get a better seal against the valve cover.
Thanks, I'll go try this.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #15
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
that is a good idea, I will remember that.... don't worry too much, the last two spark plugs on the driver side on my truck were just sitting in the hole.... not tighten at all.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #16
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
on the MAF mine did the same thing I think I loosened the 2 10mm bolt a bit and squeezed it together tight.. and then tightened.