1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Who's knows about TG axles

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 661prerunner, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:31 PM
    661prerunner

661prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    FabTech C/Os, Solo tubular UCAs (on order)Solo spindles(not installed) Glassworks front and rear, made by me Rocksliders, Premier Navi,
    Im looking to get new axles for my taco and came up on these.
    4340 CHROMOLY REAR TACOMA AXLE SHAFTS from Trail gear

Does anybody have these or know of anybody?

Would you recommend them?

Is the Tacoma axle worth beefing up?

Any input would help on these I looking to order them some time soon if I decide to go with them.

Either way I need new axles and want something durable for occasional offroading.

Scroll to bottom
    http://www.trail-gear.com/tacoma-axle-housings-and-shafts

2. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:23 AM
    Supra TT

Supra TT Supercharged Lifter

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2000 SAS D60 F/R Supercharged
    Supercharged on One Tons
    The taco isn't worth beefing up, however many people run 37s with no issues. Trail gear is alright but there are better options. Try longfield or marlin crawler. They make excellent product.

3. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:49 AM
    TherealScuba

TherealScuba Sober Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    99 Single Cab 4x4
    The stock Tacoma axle shafts are just fine as is. They don't really need beefing up unless you're running bigger than 37's. And at that rate, your rear diff probably doesn't like you very much.

4. Jul 2, 2012 at 7:53 AM
    Greensystemsgo

Greensystemsgo 1 owner with clean car fox.

Member:
    First Name:
    Dirty Nickers
    Peoria, AZ
    Vehicle:
    18 year old black taco...
    Bone Stock.
    really bigger then 35's and you might twist em. they tend to break right at the splines into the diff. so you'll be left with a 2.5" section and then the rest....

depending on what your doing, cyro them!

5. Jul 2, 2012 at 8:54 AM
    661prerunner

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    FabTech C/Os, Solo tubular UCAs (on order)Solo spindles(not installed) Glassworks front and rear, made by me Rocksliders, Premier Navi,
    Well Im running 33s now but I might eventually run 35s it's not decided but either way I don't think it would hurt beefing up the axles on 33s

Also what's the difference between Marlin and TG. Besides price they seem about the same product. Is one company more reputable or why would one over the other stand out?

6. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM
    661prerunner

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    Also I plan on caging the back one day will weight play a big factor. I'm guessing it does. So any info would help

7. Jul 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    I twisted mine with 39" Krawlers and a single case with 4.70 gears. I upgraded to the TG chromo axles and haven't had a problem yet. I have plenty of crawler friends who all run the TG shafts with out any problems..Longfield doesn't have rear shafts, only fronts and MarlinCrawler has rear shafts but they are Yukon's. If you get new axles I would suggest new bearings and axle seals at the same time :cookiemonster:

8. Jul 2, 2012 at 12:04 PM
    661prerunner

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    Yeah I want to freshen up the whole rear end. Is there a specific bearing and seal you would recommend? Also I might do gears while I have it apart I have the stock 4:10s but I think it's good on the 33s but i might possibly go to 35s just not sure should i just upgrade even if i dont get 35s of it wouldnt be worth it unless I get 35s

9. Jul 3, 2012 at 12:31 AM
    hellride001

hellride001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Panhandle, Fl
    Vehicle:
    01 Double Cab 4" SAS & 40"s
    Trail gear axles w/ARBs and 4.88. High pinion front. All axles are chromolly. Six shooter knuckles w/ trunion eliminator. 4" custom lift. Radflo shocks. 40" Pro Comp tires. 18" Moto Metal wheels. Plated and boxed frame. Heavy duty drive shafts. Dual cases(rear case rotated 20*) flatbelly. Custom crossmember. PCS hydro assist. Griffen radiator. Tuned up valve body(Level Ten). Flexalite fan. JBA headers (wrapped). "solid" motor mounts. Dual yellow tops under bed. VIAR air compressor under bed. 7 gallon aluminum tank. 10,000 lbs winch w/ synthetic line. Tundra front brakes w/Power slot rotors. Rear disc brakes. Line lock for front brakes. Grote LED lights up top. Fiberglass fenders (cut so tires can stuff). Homemade rear high clearance bumper. Grant steering wheel. Infinity component speakers. dvd head unit.
    Sounds like the stock axles would work for you, but if you want the beef...
    I am running them because my 01 is superchargered, dual cases and running 40"s, soon to be 42"s.

All in all I thought the price was decent.

Another alternative to look into would be Nitro Gear and Axle.

Gearing to 4.56 sounds like it would be right.

10. Jul 3, 2012 at 8:46 AM
    661prerunner

Member:
    Santa Clarita
    Vehicle:
    01 prerunner
    Thanks I'll look in to that, and maybe i wont need then added piece of mind is never a bad thing

and im gonna do somemore research on the gears too but I think I might do it since I'm gonna have it apart anyways

I just noticed they have 4.30 gears have you or anyone else heard anything about them

11. Jul 4, 2012 at 7:03 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    You are running 40"s on toyota axles?.... :rolleyes:

12. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:02 PM
    hellride001

hellride001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Panhandle, Fl
    Vehicle:
    Trail gear axles w/ARBs and 4.88. High pinion front. All axles are chromolly. Six shooter knuckles w/ trunion eliminator. 4" custom lift. Radflo shocks. 40" Pro Comp tires. 18" Moto Metal wheels. Plated and boxed frame. Heavy duty drive shafts. Dual cases(rear case rotated 20*) flatbelly. Custom crossmember. PCS hydro assist. Griffen radiator. Tuned up valve body(Level Ten). Flexalite fan. JBA headers (wrapped). "solid" motor mounts. Dual yellow tops under bed. VIAR air compressor under bed. 7 gallon aluminum tank. 10,000 lbs winch w/ synthetic line. Tundra front brakes w/Power slot rotors. Rear disc brakes. Line lock for front brakes. Grote LED lights up top. Fiberglass fenders (cut so tires can stuff). Homemade rear high clearance bumper. Grant steering wheel. Infinity component speakers. dvd head unit.
    yes 4.88 and 40s. I have had a 83 yota with a built 22r, dual cases and 42s w/ 4.88 spool and locker up front that I have beat and daily driven. I have seen plenty of 5.29s fail with smaller tires. 4.88 with either motor worked great for me. With my taco I am running 2100 rpm at 75mph (daily driven 50 miles a day). It is super charged and has about 200,000 miles.

My 83 was limited by the speed wooble in the 42 tsl's. I didn't have chromo rear axles in the 83, but I beat it plenty on the Rubicon, Little Sluce, and a lot of private land.

Toyota axles are about the same diameter as a ford 9" axle.

Yota axles are engineered pretty good.

13. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM
    hellride001

hellride001 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Panhandle, Fl
    Vehicle:
    looking for a sweet deal on some 42" tires. kinda leaning at Pit Bulls, but will take what there is. I did like the TSL's pretty well except for the lack of balance.

14. Jul 5, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    pirate4x4.com in the Tires/Axles/Wheels For Sale section where you want to look for those kinds of tires..not too many peeps here will have 42" tires for sale at TacomaWorld

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32

15. Jul 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
    Supra TT

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged on One Tons
    Just because the axle's maybe be near the same diameter doesn't meant shit really. Spline's make a difference and most problems with toyotas are the ring and pinions since they are so tiny.

Products Discussed in

To Top