Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Should I be worried about this?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Should I be worried about this?

If so, what is it and what do I do about it? The one in question is my driver's side, the passenger's side is for comparison. For the record, there's nothing leaking from it.

Driver's side:

Hole in the boot:

Passenger's side:

Old 07-02-2012, 09:44 AM   #2
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
LOL that looks hilarious. can't believe it's not leaking.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Grab your tire at 9 and 3, and wiggle it back and forth. If there's play, there's something bent/broken in the steering rack. Otherwise it could just be a fucked up sleeve/boot which isn't a huge deal.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Guessing a dumbass did your alignment when he was adjusting your toe or it's seized. The boot is supposed to rotate as you adjust.
You can buy just the boot if you want to replace it.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Be afraid, very afraid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post
I'm glad I provided the lulz.

Can you provide a little more insight?

Old 07-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #6
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

I'm glad I provided the lulz.

Can you provide a little more insight?

I wish I could seems the others above me have more informational posts to offer, I just wanted to let you know it looks funny
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmack View Post
Grab your tire at 9 and 3, and wiggle it back and forth. If there's play, there's something bent/broken in the steering rack. Otherwise it could just be a fucked up sleeve/boot which isn't a huge deal.
I assume you mean with my tire off the ground, yeah?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
Guessing a dumbass did your alignment when he was adjusting your toe or it's seized. The boot is supposed to rotate as you adjust.
You can buy just the boot if you want to replace it.
Is that my steering rack? Cause I've had it replaced a few times from a shop in town (under warranty for their work).

If that's something they did, I'll bring it back and have them fix it for free
Old 07-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #8
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2k2 View Post

It's not a CV...its a steering rack boot. There's no real grease in there. It's just to protect the rack end from debris.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:50 AM   #9
Do I look like a guy with a plan?
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
No, tires on ground. Just grab and wiggle/shake.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #10

Quote:

It's not a CV...its a steering rack boot. There's no real grease in there. It's just to protect the rack end from debris.
Thanks jberry. I'll contact the shop and have them fix this for free.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
wo ai ni bao bei ^_^
blackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedblackhawke88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

blackhawke88's Tacoma Gallery
squeeze the little clamp at the end of the boot to loosen it and un-tangle the boot. Done /Thread
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Just grab and wiggle/shake.
Ooh, la la...
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
The Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post

Is that my steering rack? Cause I've had it replaced a few times from a shop in town (under warranty for their work).

If that's something they did, I'll bring it back and have them fix it for free
Yessir...that's part of the rack.
Tie rod is connected to rack end which is covered by that boot.

The boot is easy to replace, but you'll have to uncrew the tie rod all the way. It's best to just mark it with a paint pen so you don't have to get an alignment after.

Here:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/comp.pdf
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
AYYYYYYYYYYYY

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Ahh true true. Good luck with the fix OP, hopefully shop will do it without giving you a hard time. If it is just the boot, it shouldn't take long at all
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
I grabbed it, wiggled and shook it. It moves a bit back and forth.

But so does the passenger side.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #16

Quote:
Yessir...that's part of the rack.
Tie rod is connected to rack end which is covered by that boot.

The boot is easy to replace, but you'll have to uncrew the tie rod all the way. It's best to just mark it with a paint pen so you don't have to get an alignment after.

Here:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/2003/Repa...4wdpr/comp.pdf
Thanks again jberry

I'll bring it to the shop and have them do it. If they act like douche canoes, I'll do it myself.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #17

Apparently a retard (sorry PC police) did the alignment on my truck last year.

Brought it back, showed the owner, they're going to replace the inner and outer tie rods, redo the alignment and replace the boot for free.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
The Mad Scientist

Ahhh so close.
I guessed a dumbass...not a retard.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:57 PM   #20
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
why are your sway bar end links not ball joints?

Sorry, just a weird observation