LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Marlin Crawler Taco Box in 2004 SASED Tacoma

Old 07-02-2012, 09:42 AM   #1
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Marlin Crawler Taco Box in 2004 SASED Tacoma

Saturday Dan and I installed a Taco Box into Cameron's 2004 Tacoma that has had a previous SAS.

First off I would like to say what a joy it was to work with Cameron and his MUCH better half Katie. They were absolutely great.

Anyway, Cameron has owned this truck for about a month and it has the Sky Manufacturing leaf spring SAS kit on it and who ever did that part of the truck did a very good job. Can't say the same about some of the rest of the truck but Cameron, or should I say Katie, because she's the most mechanically inclined in that twosome, will take care of any of the issues this truck may have and they are starting at a good spot with adding a Marlin Crawler Taco Box with 4.7 gears in it.

This Taco Box is actually a hybrid of sorts. It seems that Marlin Crawler and Inchworm have teamed up to make one awesome crawler box. The front and rear adapters are Inchworm with the rear clocking plate being a derivitive of Marlin's rear clocking plate, while the internals are all Marlin Crawler hardware.

At first this set up can be quite confusing because the front and rear plates are designed to work with a number of different applications. After some figuring out from Dan and I we were able to install this and come away with a leak free install.

They drove down from the bay area about 8 hours away and were on the road the next morning and when they got home they reported that there was no noise at all, the interior was closed up tight and not one drop of fluid anywhere. I love it.

Here is the new crawler. Pretty....

First thing we had to do was cut off this skid plate frame that the previous owner installed. That was a pain because it looked like he was trying to support a battle ship with this one tube.

I mean...look at how thick this stuff was...

After that was done we took the t case out and then I opened it up because we thought we had a problem with the coupler. When I got it opened I noticed there were some differences from other chain case's that I haven't seen before. One was this synchro on the low side of the planetary gear set. Why in the world would there be a synchro on the hi/lo section of the gearset. A call was made to the man himself, Marlin, and he cleared it all up for me. Since this is a fully manual case behind a manual transmission, but the case is still shift on the fly, Toyota put a synchro both on the 2wd/4wd section and the hi/lo section. I know, it's not there on the FJ case six speed but that is because the FJ has ADD hubs and not manual hubs. With that and the fact that this truck is a 2004 Tacoma my guess is this t case is from an earlier Tacoma that had manual hubs unless this truck came from the factory with manual hubs. Here is a picture of the synchro on the planetary side.

And this is where it goes.

This case also has the smaller 26 spline input shaft but shouldn't be an issue since it's behind the 2.7

Since this has a 26 spline input but the crawler has the bigger 23 spline input we have to use a special coupler that has both the 26 spline for the transmission side and the 23 spline for the Taco Box side.

While I was in the t case Dan clean out the oil pick up screen. It was pretty clean to begin with but we wanted to make sure it was perfect.

Got it all installed, here the t case is not yet bolted to the crawler.

Put the shifters in and they were on their way back to their hotel for some sleep and an early morning drive back to the Bay Area.

Another RockSolidToys install in the books and happy clients as well.

Stay safe and be good people.....
Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 AM   #2
AYYYYYYYYYYYY
cgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcgs2k2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

cgs2k2's Tacoma Gallery
awesome. sweet rig
Old 07-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
sweeeet!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
no time for d-bags
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Very cool. Thanks for sharing that with some good info.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Name: cameron
cameronlane's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
What seats are those?
prp premier high backs
Old 07-06-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
pikuptruk is on a distinguished road
pikuptruk's Tacoma Gallery
Got more pics?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
cameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to beholdcameronlane is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikuptruk View Post
Got more pics?
what do you want to see?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
ColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedColtsTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
ColtsTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Damn! That's a bad ass 1st Gen!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronlane View Post
what do you want to see?
Everything sweet truck
Old 07-06-2012, 06:18 PM   #12

thanks guys
Old 07-06-2012, 06:19 PM   #13
amocat 777 is on a distinguished road

amocat 777's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work! My truck is jealous
Old 07-06-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice thread! Thanks, Wyatt!
Old 07-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #15
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery

Crawl box will most likely be my next 'expensive' mod.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #16
awsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shedawsumdc is one of the sharper tools in the shed
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Very nice thread! Thanks, Wyatt!
Your very welcome!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:42 AM   #18
pikuptruk is on a distinguished road
pikuptruk's Tacoma Gallery
I'd like to see some pics of the after section with the tube work. Also some of the unde carriage. Did you mention which axels were installed? This is exactly what I'm planning on doing with my 01.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:45 AM   #19
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet, Mine next!?
Old 07-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
awsumdc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Sweet, Mine next!?
Sure. Bring it down to Southern Cal and we'll fix ya right up....