Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Vibration at 70mph after doing the following work...

Old 07-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
Bruno will become famous soon enoughBruno will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Bruno
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
Vibration at 70mph after doing the following work...

I have a vibration that fades in and out constantly while driving at freeway speeds. Starts around 50mph and gets progressively louder. It comes from drivers side behind firewall. It started after replacing the steering bushings with the energy suspension ones.

I'm 85% sure it's something between the tie rods and steering wheel (steering path).

My question is what exactly would do this? Is my rack finally dying? The bushing install went mostly smooth, everything is tight and torqued. When a rack is dying, how can u tell?

I have a 96 Tacoma 4x4 V6 with 1st gen fabtech coilovers and 33x12.5 BFG Mud Terrains. 182,000 miles. Lift/tires have been on for at least 80k. In the last 2 weeks I've done a grip of work including upper/lower moog ball joints, both cv axles, lube drive shafts, all fluids/filters and a handful of other stuff.

Thanks for the help, appreciate it.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
i take it you put poly bushings in?

If so it will enhance a vibe that the rubber one's will mask. Perhaps your inner tre's are showing age tires slightly out of round, ...
Old 07-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #4
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
Have you done inner and outer tie rods?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:04 AM   #6
Bruno will become famous soon enoughBruno will become famous soon enough
Firefighter: Firefighter/Paramedic
Name: Bruno
Bruno's Tacoma Gallery
I've never done the inner and outer tie rods. And yeah, I put the poly ones in. Maybe I'll get some MOOGs.

Haven't rotated and balanced in awhile, I'll do that before my cross country move. Never done bearings.

The poly vs rubber makes a lot of sense to me, thought about that. As long as it all doesn't come apart, I'm ok with it.

Any insight on the actual rack dying? I remember many years ago people saying that by putting bigger tires on, I'd have to replace my rack sooner...what am I looking for with this? Will it just fail and revert to non-power steering
Old 07-04-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
It is a Fluid Situation
goomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud ofgoomba has much to be proud of
Name: Josh
goomba's Tacoma Gallery
I have 290k on my original rack. 70k miles with 305/70s