Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Best way to replace exhaust?

Old 07-02-2012, 11:05 AM   #1
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to replace exhaust?

My current exhaust system is falling apart, from the cat back I've got several rusted out sections and the muffler itself is completely shot. I see Gibson cutbacks for around 350 and magnafow systems for around 500, and the cheapest quote for a shop to replace with stock has been 300 total. What would any of y'all recommend? I'm not really looking for any performance or sound increases but I wouldn't mind having a stainless steel system if it'll survive new England winters better.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adrian
aptech's Tacoma Gallery
i bought the off road pro from magnaflow. less than three bills. but your sound does increase. its not ricy, but everybody has different likes. ive had compliments on the sound from several guys. i dont know what will hold up to your salted roads. it worse than living on the coast for rust.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
I bet it would be a complete pita to replace that exhaust, 10 years on salty roads is going to make it very difficult for you to get the bolts out and get them back in. Pay a shop, have them put in the muffler you want.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well in 2005 I replaced the exhaust on my mustang gt by-my-self, from headers back. got a saw and cut all the ol crap out, and replaced with magna-flow. it held up very well. (i had a stroke but I did it right)
Old 07-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
Jetfixer
aptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shedaptech is one of the sharper tools in the shed

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
well in 2005 I replaced the exhaust on my mustang gt by-my-self, from headers back. got a saw and cut all the ol crap out, and replaced with magna-flow. it held up very well. (i had a stroke but I did it right)
had a stroke while removing the exhaust
Old 07-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yep. i thought I had a pinch nerve, and was just getting old, because I made 2 dumb mistakes..... but.....
Old 07-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yep. i thought I had a pinch nerve, and was just getting old, because I made 2 dumb mistakes..... but.....
jeez mild though. not massive i hope
Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM   #8

medium, never figured out a cause, I think it was from flying, the company I was working for at the time was a lighting importer, so I flew back and forth every month to Hong Kong. And its sad, but the 747's that united used were is such bad shape and the air pressure was bad, your legs and hands would swell sometimes. and this started one week after I had gotten home.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
Jetfixer

aptech's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
medium, never figured out a cause, I think it was from flying, the company I was working for at the time was a lighting importer, so I flew back and forth every month to Hong Kong. And its sad, but the 747's that united used were is such bad shape and the air pressure was bad, your legs and hands would swell sometimes. and this started one week after I had gotten home.
yap could do it good deal that you didnt have to go through intensive rehab.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:16 AM   #10

except for some short term memory problems, and now I tend to be left handed that's all.
but the magna-flow system is worth every penny. it withstood lets see 4 shitty ass winters here in a row, and still looked good with no leaks when I got rid of the stang. sounds nice, and down the road if I need a new exhaust will replace with one.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Wow, most people say "I had a stroke" and just mean they were pissd off or tired, you really did have one. Glad you're ok.

That magnafow looks pretty, I'm really thing about spending the 500 for it and doing it myself.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 AM   #12
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to..
chadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedchadderkdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

chadderkdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
Wow, most people say "I had a stroke" and just mean they were pissd off or tired, you really did have one. Glad you're ok.

That magnafow looks pretty, I'm really thing about spending the 500 for it and doing it myself.
Again let me caution you that the bolts on the underside of your truck may disintegrate from corrosion, nothing worse than spending 500 bucks just to have to take it to a shop to get installed....
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 AM   #13

I would say it depends on how skilled you are. slide under your truck and study what you need to do. use a can of power blaster on the rusted bolts, do it a few times during the week it will help loosen them, ( did on my 02 sensors).