Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

axle wrap while vehicle in motion?

Old 07-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
shudder while in Over Drive

So my 03 @ 120K miles had be exhibiting the typical axle wrap - "bang" sometimes when coming to a stop and taking off from stop...

Edit: new description of issue based on additional testing

Ok did more test driving today.. it seems that I can only reproduce a shudder/hop easily by applying slight load to the engine starting at around 50mph. This is much more easier to reproduce while going up an incline under those conditions. With O/D disabled, this does not occur

It definitely feels like a fast frequency of the rear wheels loosing and gaining traction, and the thump sound associated with that... The gear and TC shifters do not shudder/move when this is occurring.

-So does this mean my tranny is shot? is O/D essentially the 4th gear?
-Could the shudder be from the TC locking/unlocking?
-Does the activation of O/D apply different torque on the driveshaft compared to with O/D off?
-Still feel this is somehow linked to me greasing the ujoints the night before.. Can this be in anyway related?

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ywen View Post
So my 03 @ 120K miles had be exhibiting the typical axle wrap - "bang" sometimes when coming to a stop and taking off from stop...

Today on the drive home I experienced something for the very first time. I'm cruising down the highway at around 60mph @2000rpm.. I press the gas pedal to speed up gradually (only enough to add 500RPM max). When the throttle is applied I would feel the rear end hopping, accompanied with thumping noise. This didn't occur every single time I applied the throttle, but enough for me to notice something is out of the norm. The feeling is very similar to that of the rear wheel spinning on smooth ice and then suddenly making contact with pavement.

I tried doing the same at slower speeds: At around 40mph I could still recreate it. @ ~25mph and I couldn't recreate the axle hop by applying throttle (maybe I need to floor it?)

Just last night, I changed the engine oil and greased all the zerks on the rear shaft. I didn't grease the front shaft though.

When this axle hop is not occurring, there is no additional noise from the drive shaft. In fact, everything feels/sounds normal, except when this rear end hop occurs.

Is what I described related to the zerk greasing? Or is it just a sign of my springs failing?

I don't feel safe driving this truck now.. and will probably need to take it into the shop ASAP

Well first off lets take the term "hop" out of the equation, axle hop is when the rear end (tires and all) actually leaves the ground surface, that said , your description of axle wrap tho' is correct. I'm a little confused by the statement The feeling is very similar to that of the rear wheel spinning on smooth ice and then suddenly making contact with pavement.

To me this might indicate trans slippage or ???? maybe a little more info please..
Old 07-02-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
ywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shedywen is one of the sharper tools in the shed
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Ok yeah the rear wheel did not lift off the ground. I'm just trying to describe the sensation.

The exact moment when I apply throttle (in the scenario I described above), when the shudder occurs, the sensation I felt was similar to spinning the rear wheels on icy surface and then the spinning wheel leaves the ice and make contact with pavement.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #4
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Im thinking perhaps me greasing the u joints last night changed the dynamics of the joints.. Maybe one or more of them is worn, and the injection of new grease causes them to behave differently?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
engine, or trans mounts?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
My 1996 does the same thing. Sometimes if I am cruising around those speeds I will feel a jolt if I let off of the gas quickly. I haven't noticed it in a while though.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:12 PM   #7
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Not talking about the jolt when letting off the gas... I've had that prior to today.

I'm talking about while traveling at highway speeds, applying gas lightly to gradually speed up. As soon as the gas pedal is pressed, the jolt/shudder can be felt..
Old 07-03-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I would check the motor mounts. it sounds like the same problem I have run into in the past. they do wear out over time.
Old 07-03-2012, 05:27 AM   #9
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
is motor mount issue speed related? definitely harder to reproducer at slower speeds and almost impossible to reproduce at even slower speeds.

If tranny mount is loose, would I be able to discern movement of the AUTO gear shifter along with the "thumps"? I know the shifter itself is mechanically linked to the drivetrain and it does moves with suspension movements...
Old 07-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
ywen's Tacoma Gallery
Ok did more test driving today.. it seems that I can only reproduce this easily by applying slight load to the engine starting at around 50mph. This is much more easier to reproduce while going up an incline under those conditions. With O/D disabled, this does not occur

It definitely feels like a fast frequency of the rear wheels loosing and gaining traction, and the thump sound associated with that... The gear and TC shifters do not shudder/move when this is occurring.

-So does this mean my tranny is shot? is O/D essentially the 4th gear?
-Could the shudder be from the TC locking/unlocking?
-Does the activation of O/D apply different torque on the driveshaft compared to with O/D off?
-Still feel this is somehow linked to me greasing the ujoints the night before.. Can this be in anyway related?

Thanks.