Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Optima Battery Fitment and Part #

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #1
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Optima Battery Fitment and Part #

I'm going to have to replace the battery in my truck soon and would like to install an Optima.

I was wondering, are these a direct fit in these trucks? I've heard conflicting answers on this. Some have said that they are not tall enough and they needed a couple of blocks of wood to gain some height while others I've read say they are a direct fit. It also seems the red tops are pretty popular to run in these trucks.

Does anybody have a part # to the direct fit type?

Thanks!

2002 TRD 3.4
Old 07-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Normally we need the 34R...'R' for reverse terminal so the neg and pos post match imports.
Old 07-03-2012, 06:33 AM   #3
had2020 is on a distinguished road

Name: Heath
had2020's Tacoma Gallery
cool i need that two!

hey tacoma dude, thats a real nice truck
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Don't buy an optima battery! Their quality has severely diminished in recent years.
Check out the sears diehard platinum. They are a rebadged odysee, AGM, and come with a really great warranty.
I've had mine for roughly 2.5 years. Had to warranty one last year cause I ran the truck with a bad alternator belt for too long. I wasn't even at the same Sears I bought it from. They tested it, didn't ask questions, and handed me a new one off the shelf.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #6
Banned
hayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shedhayabusa3303 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mike
hayabusa3303's Tacoma Gallery
johnson controls makes the optima battery and many others. Battery today is hit or miss in how long it last. Batteries are made so fast on the lines today im shocked more dont go dead faster.

I have used autozones battery and i have been upgraded for free to a gold do to they where sold out of my battery i had which was one level below it.

Look into the exide tech battery they have changed in a few years.
Old 07-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
The 34R, 35, and D35 all have reversed terminals and fit fine.
The 34R has the most CCA and comes with a spacer.

And like any battery...its more in how you treat it. I have a die hard platinum my tundra, an optima 34R in my taco, and formerly two odyssey batteries in the taco (one of which died after 5 years and I still have the other as a spare in the garage). Nothing but good luck with all of them.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:18 PM   #8
TheMike515 will become famous soon enough
TheMike515's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TherealScuba View Post
Don't buy an optima battery! Their quality has severely diminished in recent years.
Check out the sears diehard platinum. They are a rebadged odysee, AGM, and come with a really great warranty.
I've had mine for roughly 2.5 years. Had to warranty one last year cause I ran the truck with a bad alternator belt for too long. I wasn't even at the same Sears I bought it from. They tested it, didn't ask questions, and handed me a new one off the shelf.

Yes, I will vouch for this battery, I bought mine about 6 months ago and it is pretty legit! also it is sized about the same as the OEM so you dont need any additional mounts or trays to install it. Plus it has a 4 year free replacement warranty - much longer than the optima warranty!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #9
Truck ~n~ Tow
TacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDell is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: BU3....   Builder with NMCB3 1981-1986...  SeaBee's if that's easier...
TacoDell's Tacoma Gallery
whatever battery....
modify it's mount, rather then use a height spacer.
as it could still move around some

I have done this with both the Optima 34R, as well a std. 34
and I'd bet it would work with any other type batt.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Tacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomadude89 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
Tacomadude89's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the help guys!! MUCH appreciated and extra thanks to you Taco Dell for posting up the pics. BTW, cool signature TheMike515.

I got my redtop installed today. Ended up not using the spacer and after some trial and error and bit of ingenuity, got it to fit nice and snug.