Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

what is this next to the auto shifter?

Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
nigglewiggle60 is on a distinguished road

Name: Nigel
nigglewiggle60's Tacoma Gallery
what is this next to the auto shifter?

Don't know what it is called or what it is used for, but I have seen these in many of the auto trucks. It appears like something could clip in it or attach some how.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 AM   #2
Yeti Hunter
Bennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBennett707 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Bennett707's Tacoma Gallery
At first when I seen this in the main feed I thought you were talking about the 4wd stick.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #3
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Emergency release button, just in case it locks up. Had to use mine last week because a fuse blew and wouldn't let me shift.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #4
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
pretty sure it allows you to disengage park with the engine off so you can push the truck.

edit: too slow
Old 07-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #5
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
So what do you do? Put something like your key in the hole and it pushes a button to release?
Old 07-03-2012, 10:56 AM   #6
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
key works or a flat heads does the job. ive had to use it many times in the past. This caught my attention because i thought you were asking about the 4wd stick. Oh i wish the 2nd gens had that instead of a switch.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #8
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
this ^

lets you shit it so you can put it in neutral if something goes wrong and it isn't letting you shift the normal way.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #10

haha, you guys crack me up. I feel like I'm going to enjoy it here.

Sorry If the title mislead, but ultimately the question was answered. I tried searching, but it's hard to search for something you don't know what to call it.

Now I know what to do to manually disengage the safety lock.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
giddy up!
derekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 4C071
Name: Derek
derekp's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Yahoo to derekp
I thought it was the mini-USB hookup for the Flux Capacitor...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:55 AM   #12
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigglewiggle60 View Post
haha, you guys crack me up. I feel like I'm going to enjoy it here.

Sorry If the title mislead, but ultimately the question was answered. I tried searching, but it's hard to search for something you don't know what to call it.

Now I know what to do to manually disengage the safety lock.
the what
Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM   #13

it's a "safety lock" so you need it in that gear to start. It locks in park when vehicle is off.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Victory is reserved...
THExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shedTHExBUSxDRIVER is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: GOO5E
THExBUSxDRIVER's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by derekp View Post
I thought it was the mini-USB hookup for the Flux Capacitor...
...it can be
Old 07-03-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigglewiggle60 View Post
it's a "safety lock" so you need it in that gear to start. It locks in park when vehicle is off.
The "saftey" designed so you need the brake to shift out of park, so you dont accidentally put it into gear when your not expecting it. You can also start your truck in "N"