Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Height

Old 07-03-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
tacomaes843 is on a distinguished road
Name: Evan
tacomaes843's Tacoma Gallery
Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Height

Hey guys I just got my Bilstein 5100's in the other day and I'm gonna have a local paint and body shop install them (their work is great) and I was wondering what height I should set them at. I want the front to sit a little bit higher than the back but not too much. So let me know what you guys think!
Old 07-04-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed96Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

96Taco's Tacoma Gallery
All the way bro. Highest setting.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #3
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
It sits stock now? No lift or TSB in the rear? If so, then .85 should be just below level and 1.75 should give the front more height than the rear but might be too much. Do some searches on here on the subject and you should find some pics to help you decide.

I want to put them on mine at 1.75 front and either a rear leaf TSB or an aal to put it close to level.

Also just a thought, take a floor jack and tape measure on a level surface and play with it to see how high you want to lift the front.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaes843 View Post
Hey guys I just got my Bilstein 5100's in the other day and I'm gonna have a local paint and body shop install them (their work is great) and I was wondering what height I should set them at. I want the front to sit a little bit higher than the back but not too much. So let me know what you guys think!
Have you measured your pre-install front/back height? Doing so will give you a pretty good idea of how much lift you need to achieve your goal. Assuming you've got stock springs, recommend you try the middle (1") setting. Zero won't change your stance at all and going with the top (2.5") setting will likely result in a bit of bro-lean.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoDawgfan View Post
It sits stock now? No lift or TSB in the rear? If so, then .85 should be just below level and 1.75 should give the front more height than the rear but might be too much. Do some searches on here on the subject and you should find some pics to help you decide.

I want to put them on mine at 1.75 front and either a rear leaf TSB or an aal to put it close to level.

Also just a thought, take a floor jack and tape measure on a level surface and play with it to see how high you want to lift the front.
OP has a 1st Gen for which there is no TSB nor 0.85" and 1.75" settings. 5100s offer us only 0", 1", and 2.5".
Attached Thumbnails
Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Height-1st-gen-5100-settings.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
stowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shedstowayman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gary
stowayman's Tacoma Gallery
what's a bro lean?:conf used:
Old 07-04-2012, 10:48 AM   #6
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Front higher then rear = bro lean.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
First notch up from 0.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:58 PM   #8
Everything is stock right now. I think I'll go with 1.75 for now. Sure don't want too much of a bro lean. Then when I get an AAL in the back I'll set it at its highest setting. I wish I had a floor jack to do that hahaha that'd be so cool!
Old 07-04-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Holyfather is on a distinguished road
Holyfather's Tacoma Gallery
I set mine at 1.75" and my front is. 25" lower than my years with the stock suspension still in the back. You'll have to go the full 2.5 to get the bro lean your lookin for
Old 07-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Hunker Down You Hairy Dawg!
TacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoDawgfan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
TacoDawgfan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
OP has a 1st Gen for which there is no TSB nor 0.85" and 1.75" settings. 5100s offer us only 0", 1", and 2.5".
Sorry was in a hurry posting and didn't even take time to look. Wife was rushing my to get out the door.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Old 07-04-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
Norton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shedNorton is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 17D4B w/ assignments in AFCC, AFSC, AFMC, AFSPC, AFRC, USAWC, NORAD-USNORTHCOM, USAFA
Name: Steve
Norton's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Everything is stock right now. I think I'll go with 1.75 for now. Sure don't want too much of a bro lean. Then when I get an AAL in the back I'll set it at its highest setting. I wish I had a floor jack to do that hahaha that'd be so cool!
As stated previously, the 1.75" option is for 2nd Gen Tacomas, not 1st Gens like ours. Your options are 0", 1", and 2.5". (Look at the picture I posted above.) Recommend you try the 1" option, unless you like bro-lean (i.e., nose-high), in which case, the 2.5" option is for you.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:13 PM   #15
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holyfather View Post
I set mine at 1.75" and my front is. 25" lower than my years with the stock suspension still in the back. You'll have to go the full 2.5 to get the bro lean your lookin for
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
As stated previously, the 1.75" option is for 2nd Gen Tacomas, not 1st Gens like ours. Your options are 0", 1", and 2.5". (Look at the picture I posted above.) Recommend you try the 1" option, unless you like bro-lean (i.e., nose-high), in which case, the 2.5" option is for you.
^^^^^^^^^^ You have 0" 1" and 2.5" If you know you are going to be getting an AAL for the back PLEASE take my advice and only do it once and just put it at 2.5" the first time. You are not going to want to go through the work if taking out the whole strut and compressing the springs twice to change from a 1" to a 2.5". Just set it at 2.5" the first time and don't worry about the bro lean, it isn't that big of a deal, and then get the rear AAL.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #16
That's probably what I'll do set em at 2.5 and then get the aal in next couple of paychecks. I've got 2 inch blocks that just need u bolts but I probably won't go with them cause I don't want my ride quality to go down.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 AM   #17
Rebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the roughRebel Taco Man is a jewel in the rough

Name: Tyler
Rebel Taco Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoMX View Post
sub'd for this picture