Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Blew a rear 5100

Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 AM   #1
FishinTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: D'Arcy
FishinTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Blew a rear 5100

The other day I noticed oil everywhere in my wheel well, turns out I blew my drivers side rear Bilstein 5100. Called to see about the lifetime warrantee to find out I've got to send if back for them to look at. This is all fine but they are also all on back order.

I'm thinking of just getting the refund for the one shock and possibly going with OME Nitrochargers (changing out both rears). I've got an 02' with a Skijacker soft ride (1.5" lift) AAl on both sides. Center of bolt to center bolt on the drivers side sits 18 5/8" with truck weight. Passanger is 20 3/16", with truck weight.

Just order up the the Nitro's?

Any help and/or opinions are welcomed, thanks.

DC
Old 07-04-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
sirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shedsirsaechao is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tim
sirsaechao's Tacoma Gallery
Will they refund you? If so then if you want to go nitro chargers or sport then go for it.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I had the same experience except its the passenger rear, I ordered another from Race Car Dynamics ( altho they were purchased from Down South ) I sent it back to RCD the 6th of June waiting for a credit to my Visa, going to give them another week before I call to inquire bout my credit.

It kind of pisses me off that I have to deal with a middle man when they were purchased from Down South, if there guaranteed for life, unless there's abuse the seller should replace it for free including postage. Then they can get there money from RCD, I don't understand why it takes 3 weeks to look and honor the warranty, from RCD!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #4
Desert Rat is on a distinguished road

Desert Rat's Tacoma Gallery
*Very* happy with the Nitrochargers here...
Old 07-04-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Wait for it...
StAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shedStAndrew is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: SWO
Name: Chris
StAndrew's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
*Very* happy with the Nitrochargers here...
Wrong forum .

Any pics of the blown shocks? This isnt the first time Ive heard of blown 5100's which kind of has me worried.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #6

Thanks guys, I think I may try the Nitros.

I've heard of a few of the 5100's blowing. I would likley just give them another shot but I'm not into buying a shock temporarily while I ship this busted one down and wait for back order to get another one. I'll keep the billies up front and put nitros in the back.

Twfsa, ya, it's kinda weird, they worth both helpfull but both expected the other to deal with it? The guy (Jeff) from race car dynamics said he'd call Downsouth and straighten it out. I'll go with it, they've been helpfull and have great prices.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #7

Oh, I do have a pic, I'll post it tomorrow. Cheers, DC
Old 07-04-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Oil doesn't mean it's blown. From Billy:

How does it feel?
Old 07-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #9
Desert Rat is on a distinguished road

Desert Rat's Tacoma Gallery
"oil everywhere in my wheel well" = blown

Nitrochargers.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #10
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
I have one that is from a second gen. Are they similar because I'd give it to you.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #11
Banned
XXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shedXXXX is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: sKiP
XXXX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
"oil everywhere in my wheel well" = blown

Nitrochargers.

OP has Billy. That diagram is from Billy. I'm not disagreeing with him or you, just showing him what Billy warranties and questioning if they still ride fine. If OP sends back shocks that are in the condition shown on the sketch and they aren't screwed up internally OP will eat the shipping. Just trying to help OP. They also don't warrant them when used on applications they aren't meant for. I have read about claims being denied in the past...just don't remember the links to post them.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:17 PM   #12

Blown for sure, bouncy on that side and oil dripped everwhere on the pavement, oil all over my frame and wheel well. All came out in one day, I'll put up a pic tomorrow. cheers DC
Old 07-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #13
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I threw down a small bucket of floor dry to absorb the oil.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:20 PM   #14
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by twfsa View Post
I had the same experience except its the passenger rear, I ordered another from Race Car Dynamics ( altho they were purchased from Down South ) I sent it back to RCD the 6th of June waiting for a credit to my Visa, going to give them another week before I call to inquire bout my credit.

It kind of pisses me off that I have to deal with a middle man when they were purchased from Down South, if there guaranteed for life, unless there's abuse the seller should replace it for free including postage. Then they can get there money from RCD, I don't understand why it takes 3 weeks to look and honor the warranty, from RCD!
Not really unusual on alot of items bought, if I were the manufacturer I'd want to see the item as well before ANY refund or replacement was made & I wouldn't want my distributors making the call, leads to many willy-nilly random refunds/replacements that may have been the consumers fault , abuse/modifications, etc;...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishinTaco View Post
Thanks guys, I think I may try the Nitros.

I've heard of a few of the 5100's blowing. I would likley just give them another shot but I'm not into buying a shock temporarily while I ship this busted one down and wait for back order to get another one. I'll keep the billies up front and put nitros in the back.

Twfsa, ya, it's kinda weird, they worth both helpfull but both expected the other to deal with it? The guy (Jeff) from race car dynamics said he'd call Downsouth and straighten it out. I'll go with it, they've been helpfull and have great prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc.SS View Post
I have one that is from a second gen. Are they similar because I'd give it to you.
Hi Frank, no their diff. generous offer thought buddy !!

I'm a little confused by all the "oil all over the place" pretty sure they're gas charged.... you have the HD's ?? maybe ??....
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Jonathan
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
^^they still have some shock fluid in them.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:22 PM   #16
︻╦╤─
Doc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoc.SS is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: HM1 (FMF/SW/AW)
Name: Frank
Doc.SS's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks Doug.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #17
BrianLV is on a distinguished road
BrianLV's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder what height they were set at. And what conditions do you guys drive that have blown shocks?
Old 07-05-2012, 06:38 AM   #18
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
Mine is a garage queen never off road or hauling any heavy loads, my thoughts are if the thing isn't bent, the shaft scared up, or sleeve is dented then there is a warranty obligation, wouldn't think the thing has to go back to Germany.

I didn't buy Bilstien because they were the cheapest shocks out there.

My future purchases I will ask how warranty claims are handled before buying.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:04 AM   #19

First off, thanks a bunch Doc, very nice of you and nice to know their are decent folks around.

I blew the rear shock, so there was no setting. I haven't abused it (yet...lol) but I fish and 4x4, haul skidoo's and haul a 14ft boat with a 30hp, so nothing very strenuous. Funny thing is, I noticed the leak after the rear end felt funny going over a speed bump in a mall parking lot...lol. Anyway here are some shots of it.

Thanks again doc..if they did fit I would have paid shipping and handed you over the refund cash, just cause of the generous offer. (i'm pretty sure they don't fit, but I'll check the parts number)

DC

Blew a rear 5100-bilstein-1-.jpg

Blew a rear 5100-bilstein-2-.jpg

Blew a rear 5100-bilstein-5-.jpg

Blew a rear 5100-bilstein-6-.jpg
Old 07-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #20
Feet in the water...
Silver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedSilver02Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Silver02Taco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to Silver02Taco Send a message via AIM to Silver02Taco Send a message via MSN to Silver02Taco Send a message via Yahoo to Silver02Taco
Your shocks are upside down???

Mine have the boot on the bottom... that might be part of your problem.

I'd be going after the idiot that installed them wrong, if I were you.