Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Suspension upgrade suggestions for 99 taco

Old 07-04-2012, 10:18 AM   #1
tacomabilly is on a distinguished road

tacomabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension upgrade suggestions for 99 taco

So my taco just hit 160k and the ride is getting to be a bit like I'm on a boat or something, getting close to bottoming out offroad, etc. I'm on a bit of a short budget (college student) but what would you guys suggest I put most importance on? It has an ARE topper on the back and 1" of lift but other than that everything else is pretty stock including the original TRD package suspension. I would like to level out the truck if possible, is there a way to get that without having to throw 300 bucks at some Blistein 5100's? Any suggestions or building advice would be greatly appreciated. When I'm not in school, I travel cross country (Wyoming, Montana region) and do a bit of offroad and camping in the truck so I need something that would be low maintenance yet super durable and built to outlast the truck. Should I start with shocks, springs, leafs? Thanks again for the help!
Old 07-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #2
austinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to beholdaustinramsay is a splendid one to behold

Name: Austin
austinramsay's Tacoma Gallery
5100s would be the cheapest without getting spacers. But if your offroading then spacers wouldnt be ideal. For the back getting a new leaf pack would be the best option but an AAL will work if you dont want to spend the $$ on a new leaf pack. And of course you would need extended shocks depending on how much lift you have.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
tacomabilly is on a distinguished road

tacomabilly's Tacoma Gallery
Would this be a good combo and price for that?
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/...n/85250ta.html
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/.../62261tr6.html
Old 07-04-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
I wish I lived near you, i don't have all the tools to do that but it sure looks like fun!
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Replace your front struts with 5100's is a great start without spending a ton of cash.

Here's a good place to start.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...ml#post3725945
Old 07-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomabilly View Post

Checked out the tough country link, price is right.. BUT for that price on the AAL I'm a little suspect on the quality of steel they use for it, bottom line is most the aftermarket AAL's out there are matching the OEM springs with .....(drum roll) ... the same weak ass asian steel ...

It's from my experience that there is NO substitute for American steel off of American built Chevy/Ford trucks (older ones of course)

& your 2nd link not even sure I'd consider it, you aren't lifted between 3" -5" are you ?
Old 07-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertgeejr1 View Post
I wish I lived near you, i don't have all the tools to do that but it sure looks like fun!
Yeah, well to me it's fun pretty much, its great to see all the diff. configs. you can come up with..

"the proof is in the pudding". as they say....

Current OMD spring users.....

So far there are these members running my springs:

1 myself 1st gen

2 Recklesstaco (matt)- 2nd gen

3 taco_me_elmo (micah) 1st gen

4 00taco00 (Reagan) 1st gen

5 CSJUMPER2003 (chris) 2nd gen 4x

6 Gregero (Greg) -2nd gen.

7 Donnod - 2nd gen (out of Las Vegas)

8 S.B. (Sean)-2nd gen. is getting ready to do this MOD also

9 Tmectaco79 (Adam) -2nd gen is pending

10 Fiddynut- 1st gen. he just did this

11 Enduromatic (matt) 1st gen (Oregon)

12 goufcustom (michael) 2nd gen

13 Res4cue (John) 2nd gen

14 Yotakid62 (Forrest) 1st gen (North Dakota)

15 PT_LAW (Steve) 1st gen. (Mass.)

16 01Tac0ma (Chad) 1st gen (SC)

17 TRd7 1st gen (SC)

18. Jdaniel1274 (1st gen.) (L.A.)

19. dad32509 2nd gen. (Dave)

20. Strohski (Chris) 2nd. gen. (Norcal) building his this week
Old 07-05-2012, 07:28 AM   #9
tacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoma guy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacoma guy's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinramsay View Post
5100s would be the cheapest without getting spacers. But if your offroading then spacers wouldnt be ideal. For the back getting a new leaf pack would be the best option but an AAL will work if you dont want to spend the $$ on a new leaf pack. And of course you would need extended shocks depending on how much lift you have.
I have to agree. This will get you by for now. You can always do a full leaf pack down the line and you will still have the 5100s up front. Check out wheelers. They have good prices and their stuff is good quality. I ran their AAL for 3 years with no problems and I also have a ARE shell. I now have their 5 leaf pack leafs and they ride great. Just my $0.02.
Old 07-05-2012, 02:08 PM   #10
Robertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRobertgeejr1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
Robertgeejr1's Tacoma Gallery
well right now I am putting money back to redo the suspension front and rear, and the factory springs are pissy and I am sorry only IDOT would go back to toyota and get a factory replacement for what they charge... and I would hate to move the spring seats.. i've done plenty on trailers but that is different. I been hunting stuff for the truck at salvage yards, if I find some old ones for a 1995.5-1997 I could send them to you and you can tell me how much you need.
when I redo it I dont mind a hard ride, ( I remember when I started working for my uncle he had 2 1989 Chevy CK duellys with a 454 for delivering trailers, he had them special ordered, and they had 14leaf springs. for a tow truck..anyway, I plan on getting the good 1inch grease-able rear shackel and to raise it 2 " from org. right now that might be like lifting her 6 inches.
but you understand what i mean, its a truck and I want to be able to use it like a truck.