Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

bolt stripped?!

Old 07-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
always tinkering
bowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the rough

bowyer2002's Tacoma Gallery
bolt stripped?!

While installing a new front driver's side axle, I think I may have stripped one of the four bolts that hold the lower ball joint to the steering knuckle! (I was torquing them to 60ft/lbs)

I have already seen the damage when the lower ball joint goes out and DO NOT want to experience that!

Where can I get a new steering knuckle?

Any suggestions are welcome!
Old 07-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
hossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud ofhossmaster has much to be proud of
hossmaster's Tacoma Gallery
did you try putting one of the other bolts in the "stripped" hole and see if it tightens? You may have just messed up the bolt. I have done that one, I always keep a few extra around.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:03 PM   #3
.<>./
capetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shedcapetaco12 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

capetaco12's Tacoma Gallery
New bolts are a buck fiddy from toyota.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #4
always tinkering
bowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the roughbowyer2002 is a jewel in the rough

the culprit bolt

Pay attention boys & girls.
When you don't put the right bolt into the right hole it costs you about 2 hours of work to resolve the problem.
There IS a DIFFERENCE in the lower steering knuckle bolt lengths;
You must put the LONG bolts into the holes closest to the rotor and the SHORT bolts into the remaining two inboard holes.
OTHERWISE there is not enough thread engagement and the bolt strips.
(Which is OK since the bolts are a few bucks and a NEW steering knuckle is over $300!)
I had to clean out the threads in the knuckle (where the bolt stripped) with a tap M10 x 1.25.
After that, everything went right back together - with red locktite going on the new bolts too.
Thanks for the input, I'm back on the road again!
Attached Thumbnails
bolt stripped?!-2012-07-05-19.06.36.jpg  
Old 07-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer2002 View Post
with red locktite going on the new bolts too.

I'd have used blue. At the proper torque, neither is needed (and the lubrication provided by the Loctite affected your torque readings, you are actually higher than spec).

Problem with red is it's a complete bitch to clean out of the threads during reassembly, and it's going to take significantly more than 60ft/lbs to break those bolts free next time.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:55 AM   #6
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post

I'd have used blue. At the proper torque, neither is needed (and the lubrication provided by the Loctite affected your torque readings, you are actually higher than spec).

Problem with red is it's a complete bitch to clean out of the threads during reassembly, and it's going to take significantly more than 60ft/lbs to break those bolts free next time.
The first bolts that came from the factory on the LBJ were coated with a green thread locker equivalent to blue locktite.
I use it every time I have that front end apart even out on the trail.

Red Locktite is a tad bit overboard.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #7
always tinkering

Red may be overboard, I agree but, I hope this is not a part that I 'regularly' disassemble.
So, the overkill is okay with me.
Old 07-06-2012, 07:31 AM   #8
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
I stripped the same bolts when doing my CV's...they are actually horrible to thread back in.

But, when I replaced my lower ball joints recently with Moog versions, I noticed that the supplied bolts were all the same length??
Old 07-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #9
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
glad you got it fixed, I hope you're ready to bust out the torch next time those bolts have to come out
Old 07-06-2012, 07:45 AM   #11
TherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shedTherealScuba is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stephen
TherealScuba's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowyer2002 View Post
Red may be overboard, I agree but, I hope this is not a part that I 'regularly' disassemble.
So, the overkill is okay with me.
Eh, well when you wheel as hard as I do, and you expect to break the CV's, you don't want to make the job any harder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerP View Post
I stripped the same bolts when doing my CV's...they are actually horrible to thread back in.

But, when I replaced my lower ball joints recently with Moog versions, I noticed that the supplied bolts were all the same length??
That's fine. They're probably the shorter length. There's probably only a 5mm difference between the long ones and the short ones. Still plenty of thread engagement for the inner two. Don't sweat it.