Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 1st Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Alignment Trouble, What to do next?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
"young Brett"
Squeaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shedSqueaky Penguin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Squeaky Penguin's Tacoma Gallery
Alignment Trouble, What to do next?

Hello,

Just took my truck into Big O to get an alignment. Last weeked I installed my 5100's so my camber was off.

So to make a long story short, they were unable to complete my alignment becuase they "stripped" the camber alignment bolt that connects the lower control arm to the frame. The bolt was rusted into the bushing, and I was told I need to replace the bushings (which they quoted me $900 for). I guess I'm not too surprised this was a problem as I had the same issue of a bolt rusted to a bushing when I repaced the leaf springs.

So my question is what to do next? Of course I will be doing the work myself as that $900 seems rediculous. How hard is it to replace those bushings. I see they sell entire LCR's with bushings installed, would those be worth it? Any suggestions are welcome.

For those who are wondering, they didn't charge me anyting, ordered the bolts they screwed up, and said they'd give me a discount when It was ready to be aligned.

Thanks in advance,

Brett
Old 07-06-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
RacerP will become famous soon enough
RacerP's Tacoma Gallery
Not an uncommon problem with bolts seized in...

What I have found is an angle grinder with metal cutting wheels is the most useful tool. Going to take some work to get that lower control arm off, but, possible. I would guess, that once you have enough room, that you can cut both ends of the lower control arms bolts off and pop that baby out.

Here is a write-up:

http://bajataco.com/tech/control_arms_01.html

Then a 2nd gen write-up with cheap way of pressing out and reinstalling bushings:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ing-press.html